Ever Get That Perfect Pipe Going When You Have To Put It Down?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I have, on more than one occasion, had the perfect pipe going. The tobacco will have been filled inside to damn near perfection. The pipe I chose for it was ripe for plucking off my rack. The wind never even made my flame flicker when I lit. First light did the trick, no tamping or relight necessary. It's smoking cool, flavorful and seems like the best pipe I've had in a good, long while.
Now imagine having this perfect smoke going. Suddenly, you're called back inside for an urgent phone call or someone needs your assistance. Not once your through with your bowl, but now, as in put it out, tamp it down, shove it in your pocket and go tend to the urgent call for your services.
Hate it with a passion. Happened this morning. Had a perfect bowl full of ODF and it was burning like I've never had it burn before. Tucked beautifully inside my Peterson Christmas 999. It was sublime and I was just starting to get really into it. Had to come in super early. Loaded when I got to my desk and kept giving it side-eye just waiting for the perfect opportunity to slip out the door and escape into a cloud of that wonderful dark fired smoke. Then I heard the call. I hate tamping one down that was burning so well, because I know I won't get that same quality I had back. Maybe I could have, if someone hadn't bumped into me in the hall causing what delicious tobacco I still had in my pipe to dump out inside my pocket.
To make matters worse...it was ODF and if any of you have responded to my many questions about flakes and how best to burn them know, I have had my own share of troubles with them, but through determination to own it's ass, I have kept trying and trying to get there and I am really damn close. This morning could have been the day, but alas, duty called and I may have lost my first perfect smoke with the enemy. She was almost made my best friend today, but I reckon that'll have to wait until another day.
If anyone has had to put one down for one reason or another, how do you do it? I typically try to snuff it gently with my tamper, but sometimes I have to get on inside at a place where smoking is prohibited so I might even have to squash the hell out of it more than I like on occasion if it's really burning good, just to stop the smoldering inside the bowl.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
All the time, a way of life, but it usually ends well, with a relight and a few puffs, I'm right back where I was. Surprisingly to me, always.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
They also make those little wind-caps, which I've never used, but might work out pretty well as storage caps to keep your tobacco in the pipe when the pipe is in your pocket. I have this sweet little French-made "Galeproof" that has a swivel top cap made of briar, and it's usually my go-to pipe for when I'm on the run. If I have to stop smoking, I just close the cap and the pipe goes out naturally in my pocket with no disturbance.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thumb over, or just let it go out on its own.
I've never had tobacco just fall out of the pipe, even when I turn it upside down when heading out into rain. Talk about loose packing!

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
Yeah, it has to be a pretty violent knock to get my tobacco out, and it's never all of it, but can be a disturbance enough to have an effect on the rest of the smoke.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Well, it was cube cut ODF and in the last few times I've smoked it, it doesn't really seem to stay in the bowl if I have to set it down for any length of time. :nana:
Might have to try to thumb it from here on out. Just always frustrates me if I can't get back what I had before needing to take a pause.
I think its called premature tobaccolation
Thanks for that, almost shot coffee through my nose!!!

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, it has to be a pretty violent knock to get my tobacco out, and it's never all of it, but can be a disturbance enough to have an effect on the rest of the smoke.
Only happens with my cube cuts. Never had it happen with anything else, really, and always in my meer or my Peterson. Cobs seem to keep everything in, even when you're TRYING to knock it out.

denholrl

Might Stick Around
Mar 27, 2011
Many years ago, back before dirt was invented, I was on my way to my brother's house (about an hour away) smoking some Connoisseur Scottish Ribbon in a Connoisseur 'Original.' This is a small-bowl pipe but, to my amazement, I arrived at my destination with the pipe still lit. Since I couldn't bring it into the house and wanted to push for a personal best smoking record, I sat in the car for 20 min until it was all ash. It was over 20 years ago; I remember that morning clear as a bell; a peak experience in pipe smoking.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Been there quite a few times. Considering that I still struggle with lighting, it really pisses me off.

Been there too: once I accidentally hit my hand holding my churchwarden against the gear shift stick and watched a rain of cubed SG Navy Flake happen. The full contents of the bowl were lost.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
So CCW. Hate to get off topic but can you share your preferred method of prepping ODF?
I've tried cubing it also but it didn't work out so great. I usually just rub into ribbons but that's hit or miss. I also tend to pack ODF a little loose. Absolute magic when it's right but my technique isn't consistent enough. Fold and stuff was a disaster. Thanks.
Oh and I have safely snuffed a pipe by folding a napkin over and placing it in the palm of my hand and holding it over the top of the bowl. Seems to put it out in less than a minute. Relight usually results in right where I left off. Sometimes even better!

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
So CCW. Hate to get off topic but can you share your preferred method of prepping ODF?
Currently, it's cube cutting it. I fold it in half lengthwise, then with some good scissors, I proceed to cut it to anywhere from 1/8 of an inch to 1/4 of an inch and let it air out a bit on a plate. Been preparing about 4 flakes at a time this way, letting them dry a bit, then adding them to a jar to fill a bowl from. So far it's been working like a charm.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
With ODF I cube cut the entire pound and jar it in two 1/2 pint jars. As for the thread, I don't put a pipe down until I'm finished with it. Being the family's oldest living man has a few perks.

Status
Not open for further replies.