PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravenwolfe

Lurker
Jul 12, 2012
I keep seeing that people clean their pipes with booze.I didnt have any booze around but because I love to cook and I generally make ice cream on Sundays I do keep "real" vanilla on hand at all times( its 35% alcohol) and seeing how i love aromatics Idecided this would make a good experiment.It was definitly strong enough to clean it.It hasnt fully dried so i can smoke it yet but im figuring if i get a little ghost of vanilla that it will be just fine with me.Anyone else try this before?

ravenwolfe

Lurker
Jul 12, 2012
Well thats the main flavor profile I head to and i also figure if a hint of soft vanilla comes through it is likely to meld right in with the aromatics anyways unlike if i was to get say a bourbon ghost.You know what they say nothing ventured nothing gained.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I tend to use 151 rum which I guess has a little vanilla taste. Never really thought about it. It has never left a ghost taste. I am still interested how this turns out however. Keep us updated ravenwolfe.

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
If I had actual Vanilla, I'd try it out right now. However, I only have imitation Vanilla, but I'm thinking about dropping a few drops on a paper towel then letting some tobacco sit on it for a few.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
Let us know how it turns out. I hope you are using an inexpensive pipe for this experiment.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
This is really interesting. I love aromatics but I'm not sure I'd try it. However, the possibility of trying this on an estate pipe is food for thought. Definitely keep us posted!

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
I do it all the time if I get a bad tasting estate, I do it to meers too works good for me.

I dump it in let it sit for a day then dump it out and load it up and smoke it, tastes super and all the bad smell is gone.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I've tried it, not for cleaning, to sweeten one like ace described (actually on his suggestion) . It was a pipe I regularly smoke pa soft vanilla in, it was getting rank. I actually used Mexican vanilla because its milder. It worked out OK

choch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 10, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
+1 to what Photoman13 wrote. I only use rum to clean my pipes, 160 Proof Stroh Rum to be precise.
stroh_JPG.jpg

There's is definitely a sweetness to the rum, and perhaps a bit of a vanilla note too. I don't think that I would use straight vanilla though as it might leave to strong of a taste in my pipes, plus I don't believe that its alcohol content is high enough to do a thorough job cleaning. Just my 2 cents.

ravenwolfe

Lurker
Jul 12, 2012
I did it on a cob.It removed the blackish scorch marks on top very easily and cut the build up in the stem very well.I didnt clean the bowl somuch as just rensed it out with a cotton swab soaked in the vanilla.I did scrub the wooden part of the stem that comes from the bowl pretty good because I tend to clench this pipe as it is my go to for yard work or walking and It tends to get rather wet and had a lot of tary build up in that part.about to go smoke it in about an hour and will let yall know if i can taste in vanilla or if it disintegrates lol

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I know you did it with a cob but if you are using wood you have to be careful with alcohol because it can take off stain. I'm not trying to sound like a know it all. I just wanted to make sure you know before you make the same mistake I made a while back. Also soaking stems in alcohol for more than a couple hours can make a stem warp and swell up. Again another epic fail of mine.

pipedreams101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2012
Sounds like a nice "against the grain" type experiment. Im very curious how it all tuns out...

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Interesting experiment for sure. I wonder about the natural sugars that are in any Vanilla solution. I do cook a lot and have Mexican vanilla as well since the flavor of that is absolutely unmatched. However it does have natural sugars and I would wonder after repeated use whether they would burn and turn bitter when burned.
Let us know how this goes. Might be interesting.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
LOL, this post is right up my alley. I smoke alot of Drum RYO in the pipe and have for 16yrs. Even when layering bowls, my base is Drum. Often, when I am using Drum alone, I will fill the bowl halfway, add 2-3 drops of Vanilla Extract, and then continue filling bowl with Drum. As you smoke it, the heat, as it is drawn tru the bowl will release the Vanilla flavoring, it is very good. I also use Mint breath drops the same way, to create a Menthol smoke. A friend of mine grows spearmint leaves and once dried, make a nice addition to layering.

pipedreams101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2012
Thats a nice idea nsfisher. I love drum, and never tried it in a pipe. Im gonna try your method, killer stuff!!

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
nsfisher, those are some great ideas! I had wondered about adding tea leaves/blends but hadn't thought of vanilla or other herbs. I believe I'll be experimenting with this, too. :0)

Status
Not open for further replies.