PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Some recent threads got me thinking. I'm sure we've all picked up a pipe that didn't quite live up to what we expected.
Mine was a Peterson 999 Ebony Silver Spigot. This was several years ago so I don't have pics. The pipe looked amazing in pictures with the black and silver contrast and I just had to have it. Unfortunately it smoked hot and the black finish quickly started looking like a matte spray paint job. I wound up trading it away at a decent $ loss.
What's yours?
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title per Rule #9. L.

Aug 1, 2012
Not yet. Every one became a learning experience of some kind. Haven't taken a huge hit on getting rid of any yet either...that will probably come in time.
Of course I could just be blocking out a horrible pipe purchase experience and the flood of memories will return to devastating effect soon.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Not really, I've had a couple of high-cost new Peterson's (see my topic if interested) where I have not been happy with the silver work. But they are good smokers. Therefore, since I have just bought my last pipe (!), my pipe acquisition experience overall has been good.

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
I've bought several estate pipes on eBay that I thought I just "had to have". But once I got them cleaned and smoking, they just didn't seem to come together like they should. Luckily I'm cheap and won't pay big prices for my toys. So I haven't been hurt greatly in the wallet...yet. :puffy:

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
I have bought a few on Ebay that in person was way smaller than I imagined it was. My fault though for jumping on them before reading descriptions. Only took me 10 - 15 times to learn my lesson.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I have never purchased a pipe that I didn't fondle, eye-ball and pass a cleaner through first. I've purchased a few dozen pipes over the years and never had a bad one. I've had one's that I've liked better than others. Also, I've told spouse and kid to never, ever buy me a pipe. Tobacco? Sure. A pouch? Okay. Pipe tools? I'll take 'em. But a pipe? Never!
I lie! I lie! I forgot the Falcon I purchased a week or so back. Smokes well and I figured that being a piece of aluminum with a hunk of wood on the end that it was pretty much no risk.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I purchased two that I regret.

A Peterson Donegal

And, a Peterson System.

Horrible pipes.

The system went sour after only one or two bowls.

The Peterson Donegal... I hated the P-Lip.

I know I'm going to catch H-E-Double"Q"...

Won't buy any more Petersons...

Sorry guys.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I bought a striking looking Ben Wade pipe at my local Tinder Box for more than I usually spend on one pipe. It

was a blast straight panel billiard named a Western. It was one of my few "love at first sight" pipes, and I spent

only about an hour thinking about it, maybe less. I had it for maybe two years. Eventually, the finish looked too

plastic to me, and the draw was too open, such that the tobacco flavor seemed somewhat diminished. Finally, I

traded it in for credit toward a different pipe. There was nothing fundamentally wrong with the pipe in terms of

engineering or craftsmanship. It just didn't fulfill its promise.

Dec 24, 2012
Yes, about a month after I got into pipe smoking I went to a Dunhill trunk show at De Le Concha in Manhattan. I ended up buying four new Dunhills, all shells, at the show. I smoked one and wasn't blown away - felt it wasn't even half the pipe that the lone Castello I had was. The other three Dunhills went in the closet, unsmoked, and I've never opened the boxes since.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Yep, paid big money for an artisan pipe, bought it not from him but from a reputable dealer, wettest pipe I've ever smoked, water practically drips out that SOB, tried to break it in, no use, it's on a rack and reminds me my 15$ Edwards Bingo pipe is 100 times the pipe that one is. Beware name and price does not a smoker make!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Bradley, don't be shy tell everyone the name of the artisan who produce that soggy mess. lol
I have bought plenty of pipes that were dogs.
Most of the duds were bought early on when I didn't have a clue to what I was doing. Here is the list.
George Jensen bent Billiard, hot smoking piece of shit.

Nording bent Dublin, did not pass a pipe cleaner and smoked wet.

Mastro De Paja full bent Dublin, didn't pass a pipe cleaner, smoked wet.

3 Peter Matzhold estate pipes, all smoked wet.

Rainer Barbi bent Dublin, it was an ok smoker but definitely not worth the coin.

Castello Collection billiard, nothing wrong with the pipe, just the stem was way too big and uncomfortable and this was when I was not picky about stems at all, freaking thing was huge.

Lane Era Charatan Pot, smoked hot.

Lane Era Charatan Lumberman, bowl was out of round and it smoked hot.

burlpettibon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
You know Peck... Its an abomination to have unsmoked pipes squirreled away in a closet, I have a REEEAL nice spot on a pipe rack I could store one of those dunhills for ya! Trust me, it will be looked after with love!
Personally, I'm only 6 pipes in and I have one I regret. It was a Peterson System Deluxe. I got it for my wife since she enjoys smoking with me and was constantly borrowing one of my (then) two pipes. I borrowed it a couple of times and I was simply not impressed with the workmanship for 180 dollars. There was/is some marks in the bowl that look like a mini excavator drove down it, the finish looks a bit plastic and I dont honestly believe it smokes all that great compared to my other pipes. She loves it, so I guess I cant complain too much but for 180 dollars I expect a bit better craftsmanship. As I have mentioned on the forum before I commissioned a David Jones pipe for around 160 that I could not possibly be happier with and it smokes great. I will probably never purchase another Peterson again because of that pipe...

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
Yep ... bought a Jobey whose beauty seduced me ... it's not a bad pipe per se, it's just not a good pipe ... mediocre smoker ... luckily, I didn't spend all that much, but I'd give it away if I knew anyone who wanted it ...

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Short answer is, yes.
One I picked out in person and one on the internet. $30 each, not the end of the world.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I have bought a few that just didn't suit me for various reasons, but the great thing about pipes is that someone else will come along interested and perhaps the pipe will suit them better.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Oh, yes...

When I was an ebay newbie I bought a collection of Kaywoodies that turned out all to be junkers. That was one of the best lessons I ever received. Fortunately, I didn't pay a lot for the collection and I've used some of them for restoration practice. At least I got some good out of them.

I bought a beautiful looking Randy Wiley pipe that had a miserably tight draw, which I sold with no regrets. Other regrets include a Preben Holm volcano which had a very long and narrow chamber, a tight draw, and an excess of gurgle, and a DeJarnett that felt like I was holding an ungainly block of wood and which did not please me in the least. These and a few others that did not please were sold with no regrets.

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
I've mostly been very lucky. Exceptions include a GBD Prehistoric pos, a meerschaum that looked like a LVC and turned out to be cheap block meerschaum with a junk stem. And one of my early buys was a Ser Jacopo that smokes great, but it weighs in at over 90 grams, and as a clencher it just doesn't work for me unless I'm sitting and relaxing. (this doesn't happen often)
I have also purchased three or four pipes that while good pipes they didn't suit me so I gave them away.
But probably the worst purchase was two pounds of bulk aro on my first order. I still have over 3/4's of it left and rarely touch it.

billbearcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2011
I have a Luciano that might end up in this category. It has to do with the small button.

Status
Not open for further replies.