Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
21521338221475-vi.jpg

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
A inert round has no purpose. Same as a limp... well, you get the idea.
Exactly.
It takes a lot more heat, sustained heat, than tobacco ashes to set off a primer. I've thrown live rounds into a burn barrel to test this, and it takes a surprisingly long time for the round to cook off. Even then, I don't know it is the primer or the powder going off. Also, an unconstrained round, a round that isn't chambered, poses very little danger. Projectile velocity is damned near nil (the projectile has to be in a barrel, gasses trapped and expanding behind it as powder continues to burn the length of the tube), although you might get a nasty powder burn if you were holding it.
I've made up a bunch of inert rounds for testing cycling, etc, but honestly using them as tampers would just take all the excitement out of it.

stranger

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2016
I could see using a live round if there was absolutely nothing else laying around, and I agree that the risk is slight, but I don't think I would risk ruining a perfectly peaceful pipe session with a loud pop and a burnt hand.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Were shotgun shells made of brass at one time? I am guessing they were, but don't know the period.
Oh, hell yes, and they still are. But I wonder when they were displaced as the mainstream cartridge.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I am making a few tampers from spent 410 shotgun shells. Perfect, IMO. Will post a pic when I get one done. I am using a bit of Box Elder branch for the 'slug' in the case.

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
(An) inert round has no purpose. Same as a limp... well, you get the idea.
+1000

I conceal carry with a round chambered and no mechanical safety (Glock)..... And I get the exact same reaction from a lot of people. In my opinion there's no such thing as an "accidental" discharge, only negligent.
I say tamp away!

Status
Not open for further replies.