Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Greetings Earthlings!
So here's the story:
I recently received an order for 1 lb. of PS Luxury Twist, and Luxury Navy Flake, as well as 1 lb. of Old Dark Fired.
Now, it's been a little over a month since I've been able to smoke any ODF, so when I loaded the first bowl, lit it, and thought I tasted Latakia, I doubted myself. In addition to the fact that I haven't smoked ODF in some time, the boldness of the Latakia quickly dissipated into a rich tobacco flavor, with a mildly sweet undertone, which added to my confusion.
Upon subsequent smokes, I was still experiencing the initial blast of Latakia smokiness, and yet the doubt remained, as that flavor was quickly subdued by the other constituent tobaccos.
Fast forward to earlier this afternoon: I was emptying yesterday's used coffee grounds into the trash, and realized that the box which contained what I thought to be Old Dark Fired was still sitting next to the garbage can, waiting for it's trip to the recycling center. After careful inspection of both the front and back of said box... Lo and behold! There was a label that read "MacBaren Latakia Flake - 1 Lb." :rofl:
Long story short, I called up SP.com a short while ago, explained my situation, and was offered a free replacement at no charge, no questions asked. So a big thank you to Smokingpipes.com for their excellent customer service!!
PS: While I'm not a Latakia fan- I did find this tobacco to be rather enjoyable. I've smoked "Mild" English blends in the past, and to this day am convinced there's no such thing. I also find that English/Balkan/Scottish blends, in ribbon cut form, burn too fast for my liking.
Not so with Latakia Flake. As I said earlier, there was an initial blast of staunch Latakia smokiness upon the charring light, but that fades almost immediately, and the remainder of the smoke is a rich, mildly sweet and spicy, long lasting smoke.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
While I find Old Dark Fired to be a first rate smoke,I too stepped into some HH Latakia Flake,but under different circumstances.The smoke shop is called Purple Haze,and is located in West Ashley,South Carolina.I occasionally visit these “smoke shops”just to see what they offer in the realm of pipe tobacco.On the very top shelf,overlooking the cash register sat what I would say was / is about 600-750 dollars worth of high grade pipe tobacco.This tobacco was not moving,and had been there for quite a while.At least 5 years judging by the stamping on the back of the tins I looked at.One quarter of this was Mac Baren,and the remainder was by a company whose name I can’t recall.The seals on some of the tins had failed.I purchased one tin of Latakia Flake,and one of Vintage Syrian.The Flake is a good,full smoke,to say the least.I smoke Lat,just not all the time.Purple Haze sells glass pipes,bongs, and vape equipment,so seeing this MacBaren surprised me.The man at the register assured me that should I need more pipe tobacco in the near to distant future,his stock would still be there.I’m sure it still is.Maybee if he gave a nice discount,he could unload all of it at once.I considered asking,but already have more tobacco than I will smoke in the years remaining to me.Give Purple Haze a call,it may be worth it

maker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2018
SmokingPipes is the amazon of pipe tobacco. Goodbye B&Ms

Jun 27, 2016
They'll become automated regional supply depots and the tobacconist can just hire some guy to keep the drones running.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
SP has always gone above and beyond for me. They brought a new Luciano to the pipe show to save me shipping, and when I asked them to do this on another occasion, and the pipe didn't get packed with the show materials, they sent it shipping free. They're good folks and definitely cultivate their customer base, and do a fine job with their Low Country blends while they're at it. Online, I think they are unquestionably a retail leader, maybe the leader. Along with PC and Iwan Ries, they are my go-to online site. They are the first place I'd look for estate pipes. Their inventory is extensive, restored and sanitized, and carefully described and graded so you get exactly what you order, flaws and all. If you are ordering a first estate pipe (or any other) I'd suggest you look there first. Can you buy for less on ebay? Yeah, but you get less too.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
@mso, gotta agree. I haven't bought anything from SP, but I love their site (if for no other reason to drool!) Oddly enough, I hadn't been hip to Iwan Ries at all until I ran across a rusticated Lorenzo clone on fleabay, which led me to look IR up. Very impressed, I have to say!

alexander87

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2017
I chatted with one of their online customer service reps for several minutes, inquiring about a Stanwell 217 that I ended purchasing. They were super friendly and they ship everything fast. The selection is great too. Nothing but good things to say about them.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
SP.com is not just good, they are superb!

I ordered one day a week ago on a meer that just hollered out at me.

I received said pipe the next day! The next day!

Iwan Reis, check

P&C, check

We are indeed fortunate in our hobby to have such customer-oriented retail/manufacturers of the first order.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
Smokingpipes.com is,in my opinion the best pipe and tobacco dealer going.Back in 2014,I ordered a Larsen pipe from them.I was on Guam at the time,and for habitability reasons,living in a hotel while my ship was being repaired.They got the pipe to me in a week.I still have that pipe. Looks like I’ve clawed my way up the food chain to Junior Member!

Status
Not open for further replies.