PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
So ... yeah, don't ask, the Dr Grabow Riviera I have ordered this winter finally arrived from the US today. I almost wrote it off as a loss, but non the less here it is. First off, I didn't have much expectation from Dr Grabow, therefore there was no disappointment. I must admit though, after the long wait I was quite excited, however upon opening the parcel I wasn't at all impressed by the looks. The pipe is new, but the details leave quite a bit to be desired. The stem is black alright, but with a mate finish, no shine at all (I wonder if I can give it a polish with micro mesh?). If I were to take a wild guess, I would put my money on plastic, yes sturdy but inexpensive plastic. The white "Spade" trademark on the side looks cheaply painted. The bowl looked somewhat better, resembling the stock picture on the internet. The smoking ... now the smoking does not match the appearances. The pipe smokes flawlessly, no gurgle, no over heating, so on and so forth ... but for some reason I did think they were better looking. By the way, I was not inspired to purchase the filters that come with it as well, so would the 6 mm balsa fit?
My first smoke out of it was McCleland no. 22 Virginia, and I am happy with the smoke, trumping the experience of some of my more expensive pipes by far.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I'm also in the EU. I've an old Dr. Grabow Riviera with a yellow spade. I keep it in the cars cubby-hole for unforeseen opportunities and must say it smokes well in spite of the unpretentious appearance. Here's to many years of enjoyment with your new pipe!

brendhain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2018
Pre 1970 Dr G pipes can be very good. Pre 1960 are usually great smokers. The pre1935 are fantastic smokes and quality. They are a great bargain in the US. They used to be easily found at cheap antique shops.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
That’s why Grabow’s are sold at bargain prices. They keep cost down by spending less time on the finish. They are excellent smokers nonetheless. It’s tough to find anything better for $30.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For a few more Euros you can get a Dr. Grabow Royalton that is a step up in appearance. Don't expect an Ashton, but the Royaltons come with an acrylic stem, and especially the bulldogs are well shaped. The carved rusticated ones have a bright finish, and while some may see the carving as retro, that can also be part of their appeal, like a 1950's car. Royalton have all of the sturdy smoking quality of the other Dr. Grabows, with the acrylic stem and decidedly higher finish, for a few dollars or Euros more. They run about $40 plus shipping. In addition to bulldogs, I've seen them in billiard shape and what is called an apple but looks to me more like a prince. You can smoke them with the Dr. Grabow or Medico paper filters, the Savinelli balsa inserts (or similar balsa filters you make yourself out of balsa strips), a Savinelli type adaptor to eliminate the filter altogether, or without any filter, insert, or adaptor at all for a more open airway, depending on what you like. I like the Sav adaptor for no filter, for a more focused though unrestricted draw. Dr. Grabow pipes are made in Sparta, North Carolina, in the northwestern quadrant of the state up near the Virginia border, real tobacco country. Besides the Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipe factory in Washington, Missouri, near St. Louis, I believe the Dr. Grabow factory is the largest in the U.S., the largest briar pipe factory in the U.S. I can't think of any that run a close second. I suspect the U.S. artisan carvers collectively exceed any of the second place briar pipe factories.

Status
Not open for further replies.