Status
Not open for further replies.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
Hey There Gents,
I just bought this Estella on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Wood-ESTELLA-Hand-Made-Italy-Tobacco-Smoking-Pipe-Bowl-/141524748117?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=rzH1t3E5mCBIxsOTz5WmyE%252FP%252BgU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
I'm really excited about the purchase, and have heard some great things from Estella owners. The pipe has some bit damage, but it doesn't matter to me. I think the pipe is beautiful. It does look like it has rim darkening. Anyone have some tips for cleaning that up? Should I just go to town with some cu-tips and good ol' fashion saliva?

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
You got a good pipe at a fine price , get a hot washcloth and lay over rim. If you have bristle cleaners , fold over and moistion with spit and go to town.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
Thanks Brad. I thought you might have an answer for me. When I was looking up Estellas before I bought it, I noticed an old forum post where you showed some beautiful Estellas from your collection.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
Nice pickup, Estellas are great.
I like a product called Goo Gone to remove rim darkening. Use it with a paper towel for smooth rims, for rusticated rims like the Estella, a soft toothbrush works great.You can find Goo Gone at most hardware stores or online:

http://www.amazon.com/Goo-Gone-oz-Removes-stickers/dp/B00006IBNJ

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
I've used it on dozens of pipes and never had a problem with removing the stain.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Estellas are sweet smokers. Brad advised me to get a couple. I did. I don't regret it one bit. You will love it.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I have four Estellas from the early 1980s, and they are great smokers. I have another one that was restored, but I haven't smoked it. It's a beauty!

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
3D3D75D0-6920-48C7-ACE2-007AEEE716D2-15681-00001AAE47352E26_zps9912405b.jpg
. My Girls.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Psychpipes:
Years ago, when I posted a question about an Estella pipe found in an antique store, Bradley wrote, "Buy it. If you don't like it I'll buy it from you sight unseen."
When everybody's favorite Cajun says jump, I make like the famous cow and I'm glad I did. That Estella, BTW, is a brilliant smoker. I've since picked up another Estella and have also glommed onto a few other Savs. They're splendid burners and I enjoy the hell out of them.
After seeing his collection, screw it.
You did good, bub.
Fnord

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Nice pipe, dude who owned that was a clencher, biter might be more accurate though. It takes some real cranking to cause that kind of marking on a lucite stem. Either way should be a good smoker.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Psychpipes:
Hard to say. Savinelli was pretty shabby about keep records on their burners.
I was told, way back when, that Estellas were tossed aside blocks meant for the Autograph pile. Several really smart people have disagreed but, to me, it's a moot point.
Savinelli thought highly enough of these burners that they asked a better than premium price for them. And you just scored one of the best made machine pipes out there. Celebrate the victory and start looking for another.
Cheers!
Fnord

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
Fnord:
Thanks for the info. I remembered reading that Estellas were autographs that didn't quite make the grade due to a cosmetic flaw. I wasn't really worried about quality as I LOVE Savinelli pipes (really all Italian pipes). I was more thinking of identification. I noticed that Estellas have variations in markings. I have seen a lot of Estellas that have a shape number on their markings, and some that say handmade instead.
Information on the pipes is a little scarce, and I'm OCD in getting information about my pipes. I think the Internet has spoiled my generation, and we expect it to hold all the secrets of the universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.