PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
An old neighbor who was known to be a hard core sportsman passed away and I went to the estate sale to look for fly rods and fishing stuff. I found a nice Granger cane rod and a lot of flytying stuff. As I start to settle up, I spotted an old pipe. I ask about it and they said they would throw it in at no charge because no one was going to buy it. The old pipe sat on the back of my work bench patiently for several months. I decided to clean it up and give it a try. It was very well used and chewed as bad as a rawhide dog bone. I could not find any marking on the very worn bowl but it cleaned up good enough to smoke. Obviously the old man had love this old pipe and had spent many hours puffing away. I lit up and started tying flies. After about 2 doz. flies I noticed that these were the best looking I had ever tied. Now, after 6 months, it doesn't seem right to tie without smoking the old man's pipe. I often feel he is standing behind me directing my clumsy hands and smiling that his old pipe is still in use. I'm sure got far more than an old estate pipe from that old man. I'll never part with the old, battered briar.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I used to own The Classic Fly Rod Forum where the discussion is vintage tackle but the focus is bamboo fly rods and the reels that are used with them. One of our pipe smoking members started a pipe thread in the empherma section and it has become the most posted thread on the forum since it’s existence in 1998. As you stated the old man gave you more than you expected, enjoy your pipe and what model Granger did you get?

banjo

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I got an 8' Colorado Special. I was a huge fan of your cane web site. My collection is up to 11 rods now. Mostly from small modern makers like Klube and Clark. Pipe smoking seem to go hand in hand for sure. I think it is the appreciation of something made from wood by hand. You can feel it was alive and it touches you in a way plastic and metal don't.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
The Colorado Special was a fantastic find since it is a true Goodwin Granger built rod, he died in 1931 and Mrs. Granger rented the rights for Wright & McGill to have the rods made but Bill Phillpson had been Goodwins right hand man and head of rod production so he made some changes that changed the tapers on the rods and model names changed as well, iirc the Colorado Special was dropped from the models that Mr. Granger was adding models and names in early 1931, Mr. Granger passed away later that year, consider that the Colorado Special sold for $12.50 during the Depression it was not inexpensive, congratulations on owning a piece of history.

banjo

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I snapped it up. Not repairs, two tips, no clicks and full length with original tube. I treasure and respect it but it has already seen days on the water as GOD intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.