PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
Hello all, I'm fairly new to the forum and have been enjoying all the good information. I picked up a Savinelli estate pipe on Ebay and would like your opinion. I might have gotten caught up in the auction excitement and paid to much. Okay, I paid $65 for it. What do you think. The seller suggested that the fact it was a "Birks" Savinelli it was more collectable. Apparently Birks was a B&M in England and Savinelli made some of their pipes. What do you think, did I get to caught up in the auction or make a good purchase? Seller has cleaned and sanitized the pipe. Its described as Savinelli Punto Oro #128 "birks" straight billiard. Take a look.
SavenelliEstatePipe.jpg

Hope I did the photo thing right.

Thanks

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase.
I think you are mixing a couple of things. There are tons of things in the world that are collectable that have no value at all. I personally think it is a nice pipe and don't think you spent too much for a good name brand pipe.
In the end it is if you are happy with your purchase. I think if you browse the sponsors of this site (Left side of page, scroll all the way down) you may find some better deals but, again I don't think you did bad.
Use it as a learning experience for your next purchase.

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
Thanks Eaglerico, you're right. I'm not so interested in the "collectable" point of view. Just wanted another good smoker at a reasonable price. This will be my fourth pipe. Have a couple of new Stanwells and one new Savinelli. Trying to build up a good rotation without going broke. Thanks for your input. I'll post my satisfaction/dissatifaction once it arrives.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I think you are mixing a couple of things. There are tons of things in the world that are collectable that have no value at all. I personally think it is a nice pipe and don't think you spent too much for a good name brand pipe.
In the end it is if you are happy with your purchase. I think if you browse the sponsors of this site (Left side of page, scroll all the way down) you may find some better deals but, again I don't think you did bad.
+1
The price seems reasonable to me. Some pipes are collectible if they are limited editions, but it doesn't always translate into higher value. Estates on ebay are a tricky game, I try to buy from a vendor who has high ratings and takes returns, but I've been misled by even "Top Sellers", so I am a cautious fellow.
The key thing is that Savinelli's are a well made pipe - so congrats and welcome to the forum!

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
If you don't like I would think you would have no problem re-selling. Is def a nice looking pipe and savinelli is a good brand.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Nice Sav... price is ok... but as others have stated you can probably find better deals if you searched them out... but the bottom line is "Do you like it?" "does it smoke well?" if they are both yes... well then you did good.
Enjoy and welcome to the forums.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Dlattim:
Welcome to the forums and damn you for nailing the picture posting first cat out of the bag. I still have troubles with sizing pix and am annoyed you did so well.
That said, your pipe is beautiful. Savinelli is a classic manufacturer of well made burners and your billiard is just swell: great lines and terrific rustication. Like Cap said, if it smokes well and you like it then who cares?
Buying off the Bay will always be a crap shoot, but staying with preferred resellers gives a buyer extra insurance. With customer satisfaction ratings being so stringent resellers will generally bend over backwards to make things right if issues occur.
If you're interested shoot me a PM and I'll share some favorite resellers who do well selling fine U.S. estate over the counter pipes. (It can be an affordable way to fill out your rotation until "that pipe" appears.)
Good snag, friend.
Fnord

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
+1
Nice Sav... price is ok... but as others have stated you can probably find better deals if you searched them out... but the bottom line is "Do you like it?" "does it smoke well?" if they are both yes... well then you did good.
Welcome to the forum!!!!

Savinelli estate off of ebay was my first pipe(along with a couple of MM Cobs). Loved it so much I bought 4 or 5 more new. Smokes great and is still in my rotation. Enjoy the smokes.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Hey, Roth? Enlighten me, please. What's the difference between a blast and rustication? Is the latter more of a carving or gouging?
Punto Oro, BTW, literally translates into Gold Point. I always assumed it was a deliberate poke at Dunhill by developing that line.
Fnord

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
Thanks for the comments guys. I feel better about it now. I'll post more info about the pipe once it arrives and I give it a smoke or two.
fnord-

lol, I have to be honest, I had to edit the post to make the picture appear. The first time I just got a question mark. Second try, it worked. Now, don't you feel better?
Glad to be apart of this everyone!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome to the forums, dlattim! And congrats on your pick-up. :clap:

I have a couple of Savinelli's, and they're great excellent smokers.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome to the forum. I think that will be a very good smoking pipe from a fine mfg. I think you did well at 65.00. Let us know how she smokes. Congrats.

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
Welcome, my friend. I have several Savs in my collection, including a Punto Oro, and (I'm not inviting a war here) I like them even more than my Petersons. You found a great pipe from a fine maker. You also found the best pipe forum on the web.

Status
Not open for further replies.