PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I'm always on the lookout for the old pre-paper filter Grabow pipes. I won this one for the very same price the pipe original sold for in 1957, $1.50! That makes it the cheapest pipe I own....so far.
It arrived in pretty good shape, despite appearing to have been moderately smoked by the looks of the inside of the bowl. The finish was dirty and had a cracked varnish-like look to it as well as having some scratches and dings as if it had been in a workshop drawer for the past fifty years. The stinger was bright and shiny and I only needed a few pipe cleaners for the stem and shank. (I'll ream the bowl later and give it a salt/alcohol treatment)
Before:
rivierabefore_zpsf9377311.jpg

After:
rivieracleaned_zps30c864be.jpg

I wonder if more aggressive sanding would get rid of more of the darkening? I can always go at it again sometime. For now, I've very happy with the results.More old briar is calling for my attention in the shop!

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Nice work and nice grain on that old Grabow. For $1.50 I think you did pretty well.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Great clean up makes for a stunning pipe. Congrats tuold! Although I'm unfamiliar with the DGs, I'd bet my bottom dollar that any pipe from the 50's has got to have some level of quality: crap wasn't even invented until the seventies!

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
In the case of factory made pipes newer does not always seem to mean better.
Speaking of newer pipes, I recently learned I'm going to be getting a bonus this summer. With the preliminary approval of my finance minister (wife) I've already begun making a shopping list. At the top of that list is a Peterson "Dracula" since it caters to my interest in fantasy/horror literature. Has anybody ever made a "Raven" pipe?

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
If someone had asked me if I would smoke a "used" pipe 45 years ago when I first smoked a pipe I would have laughed hysterically. Now, not only after restoring a few dozen estate finds, but watching what other have done with seemingly blah offerings, it just warms the heart to see "keeping the old reliables in service" alive. Good job!

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
@brudnod, thanks a lot. I remember seeing an estate pipe in an antique shop many, many years ago and thinking to myself, "Who would ever buy something like that? Gross!" Now, here I am making antique store circuit runs every month looking for old pipes!
One of the things that really got me fired up was Dave Whitney's book, "Old Briar-Pipe Smoking on a Budget". It appealed to me because I don't have a lot disposable income to spend on all my vices. After I got into it I found restoration to be a lot more rewarding than I imagined.

antbauers

Jul 12, 2013
Nice work. It should be a good smoker! I love the grain and classic shape.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Truly a hidden beauty! I wonder if instead of sanding, Acetone or Everclear (almost the same thing) would take some of the darker wood a shade or two lighter?
The old briar is really under-rated. Congratulations!

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
@plateauguy,I did initially scrub it with acetone and that removed the varnish layer. I used Everclear in-between sandings. I'm just not sure where the darkening comes from. It seems pretty deeply embedded in the grain.

Status
Not open for further replies.