PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
I bid on and won this pipe from eBay for $53.66 (cost plus shipping). Obviously, it needs some cleaning up but I think I did well. What do you think?

JFTSq1q.jpg

will post another set of pictures after restoration.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I have a Preben Holm similar to that one but not the Fancy. I also have two of his Ben Wade's. They are all enjoyable smokers that I found in a junktique shop for just a little less than what you paid.
I've been offered up to three times more for mine but I'm not selling.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Its complete with its original stem, I'd say you did very well. They tend to go for much more.

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
Preben Holm Large Fancy - AFTER
I cleaned up my treasure as best I could. Not to compare my efforts to those of a professional pipe restorer but it turned out rather well. One thing I can say is that after running several bowls of tobacco through it is that it smokes very well. Once bored out, the bowl is a generous size and I can nearly fit my thumb inside. The bit is narrow, flat and very comfortable.
The difficult part was clearing the tar and gunk out of the stem. I probably ean 50 pipe cleaners through the stem with my Barcardi 151 cleaning solvent before they came out clean. The shank was nearly as bad but easier to get a pipe cleaner through. I scrubbed the outside of the stem with Walker's pipe stem cleaner with first an 8000 grit micro-mesh pad, then polished with a 12000 grit pad, wiped it clean and rubbed it with Obsidian oil. I cleaned the dirt and grime from the bowl and shank then polished with Carnuba wax. The end result was a great improvement and was a labor of love. Take a look and tell me what you think.
9UOjlBJ.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.