Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Estate pipes - old, unsmoked, value?

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

josh676

Login to Send PM

Hey guys, I got some more photos of the pipes, any chance of help with estimating a value for these?

https://ibb.co/album/hbKBqa?sort=date_desc&page=3&params_hidden%5Blist%5D=images&params_hidden%5Bfrom%5D=album&params_hidden%5Balbumid%5D=hbKBqa&seek=LzYK41d

Brand new with boxes from 1930 - the 60s can't hurt the value...

Posted 1 month ago #
  2. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I only see one image and the stem is on upside down.

Posted 1 month ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

josh676

Login to Send PM

4. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

You should be able to date your Dunhills by looking at the number stamped after the word ENGLAND. The smooth pipe is unsmoked? The Dunhill shell looks to have been smoked. The Barling is a Barling second, so not a collectible pipe. Boxes and papers always add a little value if the purchaser is a collector and not just a smoker. These are also fairly small pipes, at least that's how they look in the pictures.

This may be of some help to you in identifying your Dunhills:

http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/dunhill/index.html

There are always people interested in vintage Dunhills, especially patents and earlier. As for values, that's a little bit trickier. The pictures aren't really great for showing condition, and condition matters. You could see a few hundred dollars on each of them, or not. The prices of estate pipes have been fluctuating quite a lot over the past few years and have largely been tending downward. People are focusing more on buying tobaccos and less on pipes since the FDA deeming rules were publicized, and as more restrictions on tobacco sales are being proposed, more people are focusing on their cellars.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 month ago #
  5. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can't get the images but that may well be my infamous operating system. However, on the general point, unsmoked pipes from the 1930's to the 1960's should be of interest and bring a fair price depending on brand, condition, and materials. The prices may not seem high enough to you, however, because there are troves of these vintage pipes that turn up from time to time at pipe factories that are then bought and re-sold by various retailers. Vintage unsmoked pipes are desirable but not particularly rare, so there is substantial competition on pricing. As the old joke goes, don't quit your day job.

Posted 1 month ago #
  6. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Dunhill 196 is from the period 1942-50. The underlined number after the D in ENGLAND will give the exact year.

Dave
    Duke Street Irregular
    Posted 1 month ago #
  7. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you go eBay, you'll need much better photos. Here are some very basic tips.LINK to the thread.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  8. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

...and yup, Dunhill always bring a premium.

Posted 1 month ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tufftony, paulfg