Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Estate Pipes needing some TLC

(13 posts)
  1. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This morning I realize I have let my Ebay purchases collect up on me, a years worth totaling just under $500, now to clean em up and bring em back to life.

I got a lot of work this weekend

Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

davidintexas

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are worse ways to spend a weekend. Good luck. There's some beauties there

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. greshapa

greshapa

Login to Send PM

What are you gonna do with em all?

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looks like an excellent stable. A few need work on brightening the stems, but few if any look really ratty, and most look like they just need an energetic cleaning, and some look like they're already cleaned. You have a lifetime supply. Mostly, be judicious with the reamers; that's a quick way to ruin a pipe if you don't do it with care.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. lotharen

lotharen

Login to Send PM

Very nice collection! Honestly sounds like a fun time cleaning them. I'm looking forward to when I can do the same

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

be judicious with the reamers; that's a quick way to ruin a pipe if you don't do it with care

Exactly Sir, I use a stiff nylon brush and Vodka to clean the cake from the bowls, got em all set up for a salt bath, will sit overnight and tomorrow the retort.

A few are in rough shape, 2 Grabows but those are my experimental pipes

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. randelli

randelli

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have some to do as well. I will not ask you to spell out what all you are doing; but do you know a good thread for me to reference? Sorry for the hijack...

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way" - Mark Twain

KG5QDZ
    Posted 2 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@randelli- Check out rebornpipes.com. Excellent reads, good photos, and you can pick up a lot of good tips.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  9. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Check out rebornpipes.com. Excellent reads, good photos, and you can pick up a lot of good tips.

And add some vids on you tube, (briarville ric has some good ones up), some are garbage but you can learn from others mistakes

Retort done on all, the last 2 days have proven E Bay clean is not clean, some of the stuff I got out of these pipes look like cola, ugh nasty stuff. gone through 200 pipe cleaners and half a fifth of vodka let'n them sit to thoroughly dry, gota start wit the micro mesh after supper and clean up the chatter

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. samon

samon

Login to Send PM

The big gnarly chimney looking one at the bottom middle is particularly sweet!

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

[/quote]The big gnarly chimney looking one at the bottom middle is particularly sweet! [/quote]

It is a Savinelli Capri root briar, bowl is 2 1/2 in tall, and you have good taste my friend

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Nice pipes to restore!!! Most just need a good retort and white diamond buffing. I also use Carnuba wax to finish. Good luck, post some pictures when you have a few restored.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

hextor

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

man those pipes are good looking, have fun restoring them.

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   shanez, danimalia, ashdigger, mrslaughter, craig61a, cdmjr, jaytex969