PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeysmokes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2018
Ohio, USA
Hello all,

Obviously one can get a good deal on a popular brand by buying an estate. I'm thinking of purchasing one and was curious what to look for. Is there a particular brand that makes a better first estate pipe? Or like a brand new pipe is it just whatever piques my interest and catches my eye? I know a lot of people mention eBay, but eBay just hasn't ever been my thing, where would you suggest looking? Or just trust the old sponsor listing to the left? Trying to add to my rotation while keeping price down a bit.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Look for ebay sellers "pipestud", "great-estate-pipes", and "Coopersark". Can't go wrong with those. The sponsor list is also a great resource. As for what to pick, you nailed it. Find something in your price range that catches your eye, ask questions about it, and go for it! Happy Hunting!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Besides eBay, there are several on line sellers of estate pipes that I highly recommend:
http://www.briarblues.com/
http://pulverspriorbriar.com/index.html
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/
Look at what's available until you find something that you like.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I'll also recommend site sponsor Blue Room Briars. Give them a call. Jesse and Scott are always happy to talk pipes and guide you in the right direction.

civalwar

Might Stick Around
Feb 28, 2018
Most of my pipes are estates. I figured once you smoke it, it becomes an estate. Why not save money.

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Generally speaking if you stick to the name brand pipes. Even if they are estates you will usually do fine. I.E. Savenilli, Comoy, chacom, Rossi, Kaywoodie, GBD. At the same time Ebay is not a bad place to get some estate pipes as long as you do your due diligence. Research the pipes on pipedia, carefully look at the pictures and descriptions. Check out the feedback on the seller, ask for more pictures if you have any questions. I have found sellers on ebay that I buy from regularly and they have almost been all solid pipes. And the few that had issues they immediately took care of them. That's not to say there are not less then great sellers on ebay. But if you do your research it can be a good place to get pipes. Also you can check your local antique stores, I have found some surprising finds there.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
What types of tobacco do you smoke? Do you clench your pipe or hold it in your hand? What price range are you trying to stay in? Do you like certain shapes better than others? Do you feel you should be looking at pipes with thick walls? There are a lot of variables when choosing a pipe. If you answer these questions I might be able to help you pick a pipe that will work for you.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For first-time estate buyers, smokingpipes.com has good estate pipe online pages, with detailed descriptions, statement of flaws, and a numerical rating. They seem to go out of their way to be accurate, and do a good job of sanitizing and prepping the pipes. They work hard at making buying an estate pipe a good experience.

mikeysmokes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2018
Ohio, USA
What types of tobacco do you smoke? Do you clench your pipe or hold it in your hand? What price range are you trying to stay in? Do you like certain shapes better than others? Do you feel you should be looking at pipes with thick walls? There are a lot of variables when choosing a pipe. If you answer these questions I might be able to help you pick a pipe that will work for you.
So far I smoke a little of everything, trying to figure out what I do/don't like. So far hasn't been much I don't like. I tend to smoke mostly while driving, so most of the time clenching, but I do enjoy holding it while I can. Less than $100. I like the looks of Billiards, Dublins, Pots, Tomatoes, Authors, Princes, Pokers, Rhodesians. I don't have a preference for thicker walls, although I've heard they may help with cooling smoke, which if that's the case I would consider. I also have an interest in meerschaum and meerschaum lined.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The thickness of a pipe's wall has nothing to do with the temperature of the smoke through the stem. How it feels in the hand, yes!
And the length of the stem makes precious little difference in the temp of the smoke as well.

mikeysmokes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2018
Ohio, USA
As I was typing that I was thinking the same. If the thickness would help keep it cool (?) since heat is produced wouldn't it just retain heat more so?

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
mikey:
Are you going to refurbish/restore your estate-pipes? If yes, cheap, crappy, no-name Ebay pipes make good practice pipes. So do garage-sale pipes. If you make a mistake, toss the pipe. You'll learn in the process. If not, buy refurbished estate pipes. The above postings will tell you where, how and what.
Home-refurbishing an estate pipe into a smokable condition is not that difficult. Restoring a pipe to look brand new is more involved, but it still can be done, and, is done. You'll just be paying someone else to do it for you if you are not willing to do it yourself. Either, or, works.
You'll have many more choices if you decide to refurbish, or if you don't mind spending the money on what ever pipe(s) you like.
I buy estate-pipes all the time, and restore them, on my kitchen table, using just a few hand tools, some sandpaper, and polish. It's a mess, but the clean up is easy, and you'll have the satisfaction of your restorative efforts when you put a match to a bowl of you favorite blends. Try it, you may like it.
The choice is yours.
Frank

NYC

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Buying estate pipes is a great way to build up a rotation. However be aware that some folks buy a new pipe, find it is a terrible smoker (for whatever reason) then stick it up on eBay in an attempt to get some of their money back.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.