PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brassmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
I am in the process of moving to another city and have been travelling back and forth a bit recently. So on my way back yesterday I stopped in at every antique/collectable/bric-a-brac store that I saw along the way. Its a journey of about 300kms that passes through several small rural towns. In all I visited about 12 shops AND NOT ONE HAD ANY ESTATE PIPES. I could not believe it, I asked the folk working in the shops to make sure that I hadn't overlooked any pipes, still nothing.
One staff member said they maybe see a pipe every 6 months, another said the store owner collects pipes so any they get in go straight to his home.
WHERE ARE ALL THE PIPES?
Maybe its a reflection of our society, where the powers that be want to make NZ smoke free by 2025...
As one store owner commented "it's a dying art"
There is a local store that has a few in stock but the prices are more than I would like to pay $40 - $50 each, perhaps I need to reconsider.
The hunt goes on...
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
I recently moved to a more rural area, and within an hour around there are a ton of antique shops, so we've taken to hitting them up on weekends just for something to do.

I've seen very few pipes... like 4-5 total, in maybe to dozen large antiques shops.

Was thinking that maybe its more of an estate sale thing?

Or maybe there is some reticence to resell a personal smoking implement? (Think of all the Dunhills, etc, that have gone into the trash... )

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
I recommend checking out the estate pipes available through the site sponsors listed on the left side column of the forum page. Excellent service and selection and fair pricing. TW

9mmpuffer

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2018
Thousands of estate pipes available online. I think it's just easier to sell on the interwebs now, more eyes, more traffic, better return for dealers.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I live in SE Louisiana and feel I've had surprisingly good luck in finding quality "estate" pipes in antique/collectible/junk shops and at antique street fairs. I had to educate myself on estate pipes so I know what I'm looking at and how to determine condition.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Antiques are sold in my town by a group of stores, but only one ever has pipes as, apparently, only one of the dealers wishes to sell them. So I went to the store from time to time with mixed results. I was shown a box with stummels without stems and vice versa. Nothing there. Then I bought a gourd meerschaum, but the draw was poor due to the fitment, which I returned. Finally I bought a 7 day set pf MM cobs, none of which had hardwood plugs, though they had better stems and had been dressed up with a more appealing stain and bands. I called MM and implied that it should never have happened that they sold a pipe without a plug and would they plug them for free. They declined.
From what I know cobs that burn out at the bottom are in the minority. I might plug them but probably not.
Many estate dealers online and little reason to go back.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
If you have flea markets where you live, I'd highly recommend checking those out. There is almost always at least one person at our local flea market that has a few. I also managed to score a vintage kaywoodie pipe tool, and a Richards Sheffield pipe knife the last time I was there. My Father-in-law goes every other weekend, and has at least 15 pipes that he got there ranging anywhere from one to five dollars. Some nice vintage Kaywoodie and Savinelli pipes in that lot too.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
RE the Aussie-NZ video: At one point they were called thongs here in the US, but not since the sexy thongs were introduced by fetching ladies. Now it's just sandals or flip-flops.

brassmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
had a look at these today but didn't buy any
TVJxXlD.jpg

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I have a "Transistion" Kirsten from the early 1950s that I paid $30 for at an antique/junk shop. I was able to date it by sending pictures to Kirsten in Seattle. I also have a Savinelli Giubileo de Oro I found for $3 at a street fair.
There are some good Kaywoodie and Dr. Grabow's that can be found but you have to learn how to date them so you don't buy something only 10 or 20 years old. One of my prizes is a Linkman Hollycourt Special produced before the name was changed to Dr. Grabow.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"but you have to learn how to date them so you don't buy something only 10 or 20 years old."
What is so wrong with a ten or twenty yearold pipe? Assuming matey wants to buy pipes for smoking the age of the pipe is immaterial.
Regards,
Jay.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Jay,

If the pipe is a good one, nothing is wrong with them. But some of these stores are telling people they are antiques and marking the prices up when you can buy a new one - same shape and everything - for less money. Recently saw a Dr. Grabow the owner claimed was an unsmoked antique. It was still in the packaging for a local drug store for $20 less.

barepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2017
I have given up on local antique stores. I use eBay. Just be careful as you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.