PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I just tried to clean a GBD estate pipe that I bought from a reputable pipe EBay seller (100 % rating) and when I ran an alcohol dipped pipe cleaner down the pipe stem, some Everclear dripped onto the outside of the stem. Before I could get a rag to it (less than a second), it bled black color all over my hand. It looked like diluted black felt marker color on my hand - that kind of purple/black color. I immediately wiped it with a soft cloth with more everclear and proceeded to wipe it until no more black came off. The stem appears ok, a little faded now and is/was fairly clean on the inside. I am now going to sand and buff this stem before I smoke this pipe just to be on the safe side. Anyone else ever run into this? Have I just run into an old horse-trading trick or is this a common event?

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Something that would really help us out is what is this stem made out of? I'm guessing vulcanite, if that is true, then you may polish it up and use it, although I would myself sand it up to 3,000 grit and then polish it and use it.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Somethin' weird there! I've never had a stem do anything like that. Sounds like it was coated or painted with something.

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
The stem is the original GBD stem, so I'm assuming vulcanite. The other pipes that I got from the same guy (package deal) were ok and several of them were also GBDs with no color bleed when I cleaned them.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I have had it happen on very old stems. Just while "wet" sanding, rather than the brown oxidation stain, instead it was a black goopy stain coming off the stem. It happens and not a big deal. Just clean er up mate, as you normally would, and let er buck. enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.