PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhpro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Hi All,

I am in the middle of restoring a 1930's-40's Yello-bole.

It's a bent Premier with a yellow unfiltered stem.

The bowl is almost finished, it needed a 1/16th topping, but the bent stem is blocked solid.
https://goo.gl/photos/kkg9GFtrcCB6Y5GP8
What is the best way to unblock the stem?
Thanks, you guys have been most helpful.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Soak the stem in a diluted simple green solution. It will eventually soften the crud enough that you can poke something through the blockage. Start with a paper clip or piece of wire. Eventually you can get cleaners through.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Soak the stem in a diluted simple green solution. It will eventually soften the crud enough that you can poke something through the blockage. Start with a paper clip or piece of wire. Eventually you can get cleaners through.
Yep, pretty much what I was about to write, though I use alcohol because I'm used to it. Simple green will work fine. Check it after a few hours and gently push against the mass with a paper clip. If there's an attached stinger, enter in through the stinger rather than the other way around.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
As above, just like to add that it may be a slow process. Each wire poke will get out a little more and eventually you will get thru. Don't rush it. Soak-poke-soak-poke

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
I have no cleaning fluid, can you gents reccommend a good, affordable solution for my estate pipes?
And Recently I was using some non cotton pipe cleaners from a craft shop for an old pipe and the fluff clogged up the stem. I soaked it in warm water and used really thin wire with hooked bend in the end to poke and scrape it out. Worked good and only took a few minutes.

nhpro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Thanks guys, I finally got through all the dried and hardened tobacco residue.
hawke, soak-poke-soak-poke was the key thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.