PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Post by pappyjoe on 26 minutes ago

I struck the motherlode of estate pipes today.
There is a place in Picayune, MS named Treasures & More on the frontage road that has a good supply of estate pipes on hand. I think there is over 30 pipes left and most of them are stamped Made in Denmark, Made in London or England and Made in Italy. There is one Savinelli. There was also one or two stamped Made in France. Out of all the pipes in the case only one was a Kaywoodie and one was a WDC.
I bought a Peterson's Kapp-Royal 79 (has IRC stamped on the stem so it was probably sold by Iwan Ries) and a Soren stamped Hand Carved Made in Denmark. It is a Soren Refberg pipe. Two other pipes which stood out - a Jarl made in Denmark and a pipe with a Fleur de Lis on the stem. Most of the pipes were around $30 each and in restorable condition.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Soren pipe

PNS2Swv.jpg

Nfyj3N0.jpg

lIpkA0S.jpg

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
So. Who can tell me about the Kapp-Royal shape 79. I haven't found any information on that shape.

grilledokra

Lurker
Oct 27, 2016
Pappy I’m glad to see those went to a good home! I grabbed a Kriswill and a Ben Wade out of that case last year. I’ve been saying I wanted to go back to check on the others (in hopes of a price drop because I was too cheap to get them the first time). Keep the hunting up, and if I run into anything in our overlapping territory I let you know.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
@pappymac. I like the restoration! Are you going to keep it verifying wood or restain? I think there’s enough birdseye there that it doesn’t need any additional finishing.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
@npod - I thought about finishing it with tung oil but decided to just apply a light coat of carnuba and leave it as it. By the time I finished working on it was micro-mesh pads, it had a very nice gloss to the surface and I almost didn't even wax it.
It smokes great too.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I've added a post about the Pete Kapp-Royal to my blog. If anyone is interested in reading it, message me.

Status
Not open for further replies.