Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:   

Estate Pipe Lot

(15 posts)
  1. rosney

rosney

Login to Send PM

I was able to pick up some estates along with a single pipe stand and a five pipe rack with tobacco jar. I gave $80 for the lot which may have been too much but I figured it would be worth it to practice my restorations. From left to right they are a Dr. Grabow Starfire, in good shape and drilled well. Kaywoodie White Briar, tiny bowl, skinny stem. Kaywoodie Sta??? Good shape other than the bowl being almost caked shut. Falcon. Kaywoodie Campus, good shape but also tiny with a very skinny stem. The jar lid says Chicago Motor Club A.A.A.

This pipe was the whole reason I was interested in the lot. It's a Savinelli Lollo. My first Savinelli! Seems to be in good shape. Can't wait to clean it up and smoke it!

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

The Sav and rack would have been enough for most to pull the trigger. The rest is just icing. Nice lookin' bunch!

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. thuber88

thuber88

Login to Send PM

Always wondered how the leather would hold up on a pipe, with the heat and all.
    Keep us posted, looks nice for the bunch.
    Congratulations

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. rosney

rosney

Login to Send PM

I am wondering the same thing. If the leather wasn't in such good shape I would pull it off and shine it up, but I think I am going to leave it. An odd thing about this lot is that they all, except for the Falcon and the Sav, have stingers that screw in. I have never had one like that.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Lots of clean up to do, but looks like you did fine considering what you received, IMO.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. lifeon2

lifeon2

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Sta is probably a Kaywoodie standard good catch on those Kaywoodies and the Sav if you want to know more about them there is a collectors site http://kaywoodie.myfreeforum.org/index.php

You may call me "HerrDoctor"
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. romeowood

romeowood

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Savinelli alone is worth the price of admission. I'd recommend a light wiping with some mink oil to keep it in good shape. Good score!

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. thuber88

thuber88

Login to Send PM

Id say jerk all the stingers and then smoke em, but with threaded I might be worried about goo collecting in those threads over time

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice haul, Rosney. Do you have a pipe reaming tool? That's money well spent if you're charting a course in the estate arena.

Sound off about the Lolo, okay? I've got three Savs now and find myself gravitating towards them on a right regular basis.

Fnord

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wouldn't mind having the Woodies, good haul mate, enjoy

If at first you don't succeed, have another bowl.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. mlyvers

mlyvers

Login to Send PM

great job. you have a good eye.

mike.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. lifeon2

lifeon2

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good gravy leave the stingers where they are if you dont like stingers I'm sure we could work something out.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. wildcat

wildcat

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good gravy leave the stingers where they are if you dont like stingers I'm sure we could work something out.
    +1

For whereas men of an older school, like myself, smoke for the pleasure of smoking...
    A.A. Milne
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. rosney

rosney

Login to Send PM

You guys sure know how to make a guy feel good about spending his money! Thats one of the reasons that post pictures after I make a purchase haha.

I plan to leave the stingers. Since I have no experience with them yet I don't have any ill will towards them. I am going to pick up a reaming tool tonight since I have a few pipes to do now and that would be better than what I have been using previously.

A few of these might be my first pipes to put on Briar Bid. I will let everyone know if they go up there. I have a friend that is just getting into the hobby that might be interested too.

As to the White Briar, is that just paint on there over wood? If so what would be a good way to clean it up?

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. lifeon2

lifeon2

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is just wood and the best way to clean it is to have a super fine touch with a buffer as it is really easy to strip the paint off. I have done a few but then again I have been rocking buffer work for 20+ years

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   phonomet, condorlover1, kaboom, trailboss, natibo, buzkirk, tbradsim1, darwin, pitchfork, dermotfahy, petes03, andya27, david555, sidious, sparks