PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
For those who do hunt for estate pipes, I was wondering if you have stumbled across any interesting auctions or have noticed any other trends in the estate market?
I have been looking at the older British names as of late, and they all seem to be commanding very high prices, particular the high grade pieces offered by the prominent sellers.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Over the last eighteen months I have seen a steady increase in prices across the estate pipe market irrespective of grade, condition, or popularity of brand/artisan. The cost of estate pipes in general are going up. Further, I'd suggest that there are more informed buyers scanning the online auction market today than there were a year and a half ago, meaning that auction pricing increases as hobbyists and resellers battle it out for pipe ownership.
The vendors of high grade and higher end pipes are doing a good job of setting the high side of reseller market pricing through a variety of techniques; reserve pricing (like Mr. Can's auctions), strong salesmanship (a la Coopersark), and effective use of "Buy it Now" functions (Mr. Can again and Treasurepipes) all serve to carve out territory in the side of the market.
While late 19th century and early 20th century factory pipes have always been pricy and continue to be, I've been more surprised with the price jumps on lines like Parker, Hardcastle and seconds lines.
Dunhill pricing appears to have levelled off while Sasieni and Comoy pricing has continued to climb.
It will be fun to see how the next year affects pricing.
-- Pat

joeray

Might Stick Around
Mar 17, 2014
Indonesia
I love old estate British pipes too, and i saw at the market the price is not affordable for me accept from a generous friends that want to sell it in a very generous price.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I can't say that I've noticed any across the board increase in the price of high grade British pipes. I would agree that Sasieni prices have increased, but Barlings have remained pretty stable, as have other makes. What I have noticed over the years is that the price that a pipe commands relates to the model, finish, condition, and presentation.
Since I'm more experienced with Barlings I'll speak to that. When it comes to Barlings, model and staining can have a dramatic effect on price. Given that condition is similar, a billiard or a Canadian with a lighter finish will generally go for a considerably higher price than a pot or a darker stained pipe. Very early Barlings, from the 1920's and earlier, often command a premium price if in excellent condition.
But pipes in worn condition, or in unpopular shapes, can be had for very little money. And the price can really be drastically affected by poor presentation. Some of my best values came from pipes which were poorly photographed, with dark or slightly fuzzy images.
The wild card seems to be increased demand from Eastern European and Asian buyers. Sometimes a nicely presented pipe will become the object of desire for several bidders with the result that duels take place that end up with stratospheric end prices which are not the norm. An EXEXEL Canadian Special grade can sell for $700 at one auction while another EXEXEL Canadian Special that is just as nice, can sell for hundreds less the following week.
A pipe that has been restored and well photographed will generally get more attention and a higher price than one that is dirty or poorly photographed. I think that such holds true across the board for eBay auctions.
The one area where I have seen several very high ending prices is with "unsmoked" pipes, especially if they still come with their original box and wrapping. A recent auction saw a 1950's vintage "L" size (which is a small pipe) go for over $700. Smoked, an "L" will usually go for $85 - $175, depending on the shape and condition. Five years ago I saw an unsmoked EL sized "Birdseye" stamped billiard (Birdseye is the rarest stamping there is in post war Barlings) in its original box go for considerably less, about $500. Is the recent sale price of that smaller "L" indicative of a trend or indicative of bidder stupidity? I'll let you know when I see a number of other "unsmoked" pipes sell at auction for higher prices. I bought an unsmoked EXEXEL 1940's pot several months ago for $140. It wasn't well photographed, but when it comes to Barlings I know what I'm looking at and snapped it up.
Barlings with the hemispherical sterling windcap, known as a "motor" windcap, typically go for between $900 and $1200 at auction. That price range hasn't changed in at least six years. The 1909 bent billiard motor capped pipe that I picked up about a year ago went for far less than half that amount. Of course, it was mislabeled by the seller, but plenty of sharks on eBay know where to look and the sniper came in at about $3 below my maximum bid.
Very nice Barlings can be found for less than $100 if you are patient and know what you are looking at. I just bought one for $85. Badly presented and I may find out that I bought a stinker, as it hasn't yet arrived, but to my eye it looked like it would clean up just fine. That's kind of the fun of the hunt.
And, a poker shaped Quaint went for less than half of its retail listing price of 4 years ago, yesterday.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
I never even pay attention to auctions from places that are known for selling pipes, too many people watching and the prices get inflated to way over what they should be. You can still get great deals on the old british brands if you poke around enough.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have noticed that some of the plain meerschaum pipes are getting bid up through the roof. In the narrow arena that I collect for daily use the prices have just become stupid. An example being a small 'cutty' meerschaum with an intact amber stem would go for a maximum of $50.00 with a semi respectable case. I see the long stem versions without the case getting knocked down for just short of $300.00. People do not realize the invariably any pipe like that will have messed up threads and will require rethreading and new bone plug fitted to the stem. I usually have them shortened anyway otherwise they become impossible for everyday use. A very strange inverse is that the price of the elaborately carved Victorian examples has fallen through the floor. I remember seeing quite respectable examples that were well colored selling for Five Hundred Pounds and up in the early 1980s which today struggle to command bids north of $200.00. As an after thought providing those styles of pipe with elaborate carvings have a thick amber stem that has not been repaired and you don't mind walking around smoking a garden ornament then that is the pipe for you at that price! Strangely the 'bulldog' styles in meerschaum with an amber stem and respectable case show up on a certain auction site very regularly. They are usually well smoked and have silver fittings and once reamed and cleaned are excellent little pipes. I picked a small curved one for Andre the other month complete with perfect amber stem and lovely case for $59.00 and after cleaning and removing 100 years of carbon the pipe smoked brilliantly. Again its not my style but you cannot buy a good well broken in estate pipe for $59.00 from any of the well known dealers. In closing we are seeing the market being moved in response to demand. Sites like 'Pipe Magazine' etc create awareness which brings in new buyers and enthusiasts and fuels demand which results in higher prices. I cannot comment on the likes of Dunhill etc as I have box full of that stuff in storage in the UK which were given to me over the years by various friends of my Mothers who found them whilst moving after the death of a husband or brother. There were not my cup of tea then and one of these days I should sort them out when I finally decide where I am go to settle down!

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
The sasieni 2nd lines went pretty high in the last few months but now there is a glut and you can pick up a decent one for $20. But high grades are almost always high money. Peck you spend good chunks of cash on high end pipes, are you getting frugal all the sudden? Are you looking more for old briar or really great condition?
Oh and if Mike isn't a pipe expert, then my typing must be taking knowledge out of the thread.

Dec 24, 2012
Peck you spend good chunks of cash on high end pipes, are you getting frugal all the sudden? Are you looking more for old briar or really great condition?
I am delving a bit into English briar. I am not a fixer upper though. I have made a few purchases, but I have found that every auction for old British pipes in very good and restored condition seem to go for crazy money.

fishingandpipes

Aug 24, 2013
I think prices in general have been on the rise, though it's a bit different on the estate market.
I think I'm going to be cooling my heels on getting new pipes for awhile to watch where things go.

I am currently focusing on the pipes which are atleast 50-60 years old and have come across pretty good ones. I stay away from all auction sites, ebay or any other platform and prefer to contact people in my circle for reference and leads. I recently got hold of a 1950-1960 Stanwell without the Crown on the S, but yeah I did pay a little premium ($140 shipping included), 2 Jeantet pipes made in 1951 ($108 shipping included), and a handmade Erik Nording for ($64 shipping included).
For $78/pipe with that much history I think is a steal. I don't tend to get attracted towards new pipes at all.
Cheers,

Chris

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I estate hunt from time to time for whatever looks interesting or is a good deal that I run across. I don't really have an area of focus such as brand, era, etc. like some collectors do.
Though I've been lucky a few times on ebay, seems to me prices on most things have been up. Especially refurbished condition pipes. Good deals can be had if you are hunting for fixer uppers though. I have also hit up some antique stores which are very hit or miss. Sometimes you find a moderately priced pipe that needs some love. Most of the time I've only found dirty pipes that need extensive work from dealers who think they can get top dollar.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not in the estate market at all, but I enjoy visiting the estate pipes on smokingpipes.com, where they

are well organized and described and evaluated for condition. For those who have cultivated their interest

to specific brands, years, shapes, and finishes, I can see that the quest for particular pipes could be riveting.

I always find myself wondering if I would want to spend on an estate pipe what I might spend on a higher end

pipe new. I'm factoring out unsmoked pipes, which is a special category, which is both a historical estate pipe

and "new" in the sense of being unsmoked. Deciding on the value of pipes new is tricky enough. Estate pipes

seem to present a special challenge. Fifteen hundred for a well-smoked pipe by a famous carver. I can see

a lot of variation in price, from the $5 pick-up from an unknowing antique shop to paying too much at an

auction where everyone is aglow with the aura of the great man who carved the briar. Hmmm.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Over the last eighteen months I have seen a steady increase in prices across the estate pipe market irrespective of grade, condition, or popularity of brand/artisan
I agree with Pat. The pieces I have been looking for, including James Upshall (which used to be a great bargain) have risen substantially in this period of time.
Luckily for me, I have every pipe I ever want to own, ever.
Yeah, right

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I watch Ashton, Upshall, Comoys, Sasieni and GBD auctions and have done so pretty consistently over the past two years.
Older Ashton's are pretty predictable but anything over say 1995 is a wild card. Unfortunately, I favor Rhodesian/Bulldogs which do seem to go for a premium.
Same for Sasieni. Mike Reschke had a Ashford shape at a BIN of $725 last week and it was removed, so someone bought it, perhaps at that asking price. Many are listed incorrectly, that is where the deals can be found. Last week, someone had a Four Dot Rough Root Vicscount Lascelles at a BIN of $35. I raced to my laptop for a better look than on my phone and in under five minutes, it was gone.
There are still plenty of GBD bargains but in general, I'd say those prices have crept more than other makers (still a bargain).
I watch a lot of Comoys, but haven't bought one in two years - Neill was his own worst enemy on this maker. I favor Extraordinaires and they are quite dear but I don't think any more so than two years ago.
Timing is everything with Ebay auctions. Quite a few pipes ended without bids this past weekend. Remind me to only buy on Fathers Day (or any other holiday) and never sell. My Jack Howell purchase on Sunday was considerably lower than I had expected. I'm sure the holiday excluded many potential bidders.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I agree with Al - the Rhodisians/Bulldogs go for higher prices than a straight billard. I've been watching for a Comoy Blue Riband, unfortunately they seem to be VERY popular, and therefore higher prices. Dunhills are high no matter what. GBD is perhaps the best kept secret (until now).
I've sent a few pipes to Mike at Walkerspiperepair, he's always done a great job. I'm also planning on sending one to Norwoods. Clean, ream, polish and ozone runs around $50 - which I take into consideration when I'm bidding. I have cleaned and polished pipes and just sent them for ozone (I just feel better about smoking an estate if it's been ozoned).

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
My very humble opinion on some of these estate pipe trends is due in part to a resurgence in the classic English shapes. My recent face to face exposure to a fair number of mostly youngish pipers is leading me to conclude that. My own personal preferences lean toward sleek, old London made Billiards, Pots and straight Bulldogs. They clench nice, the stems feel "right" and they smoke well. It could simply be a case of old being new again for a lot of smokers.

Status
Not open for further replies.