Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:   

Estate, New And Artisan Pipes - What's Your Preference?

(17 posts)
  1. tufftony

tufftony

Login to Send PM

Do any members here have a special preference and
    stick to just one kind exclusively? Or do most of
    us just acquire pipes that for some reason or other
    appeal to us and that we can afford?

Posted 2 months ago #
  2. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The only interest I would have in a used pipe is if it could be connected via impeccable records to a person of note I had an interest in.

I'm not disparaging collectors. I just have no interest in "used" anything except certain "Civil War" (American) relics.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  3. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Most of my collection is made up of No American artisan made pipes. I have bought plenty new and have also bought many as estates. My preference is a pristine estate as I usually save a lot of money going that route. I haven't bought any type of pipe in over a year as I really don't need anymore pipes. It will have to be something special at a great deal for me to pull the trigger again.

Harris
    Posted 2 months ago #
  4. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For me, pretty much artisan pipes or estate pipes that appeal to me, except meers; those pretty much are new.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

paulfg

Login to Send PM

only 3 of my 45 pipes were bought new,the rest as estate pipes.
    Of the 3 new ones 2 were commissions from Michail Kyriaznos as a birthday present.I prefer old britwood and that is one reason most are estate pipes.Although 2 upshall pipes and 1 pre trans Barling were unsmoked when bought I still class them as estate as they were previously owned

Posted 2 months ago #
  6. shanez

shanez

Login to Send PM

I prefer artisan carved estate pipes that have never been smoked.

Truthfully I really don't care. If I like the look of a pipe and it's the right price then I'm game.

I also can't fathom why someone would have a real issue with an estate pipe. Not to be confused with simple preference. People prefer what they prefer. That being said, and not getting into restoration requirements, pipes that have simply been smoked can be cleaned making them no different than a glass or fork in a restaurant in my mind.

Posted 2 months ago #
  7. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Until I quit buying them and threw out the majority, I bought new, estate, and commissioned several.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 2 months ago #
  8. pianopuffer

pianopuffer

Login to Send PM

+1 for estate pipes. I too am a fan of American carvers, new or used. As long as the seller is reputable and the pipe is in good condition, then I'm happy to smoke it, pending a thorough cleaning and inspection.

About 90% of my collection are estate pipes from all over the world.

Posted 2 months ago #
  9. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are advantages to all three. I love my artisan pipes (Jesse Jones) and they make up the majority of what's left of my pipes, but it's hard to beat old Brit wood. My estates are limited to old Sasieni pipes (and a Comoy's). With artisan pipes you get the advantage of great smoking dynamics, comfortable bits, the ability to dictate shape, size, finish, stem material, degree of bend, etc. to however much a degree you like. Purchasing estates has the advantages of great, seasoned old wood, (usually) a lower price, and, at least as far as Sasieni goes, to me, perfect classic shaping, etc. Buy what speaks to you until you discover what you love about your favorites, then act accordingly.

Posted 2 months ago #
  10. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Brand new.

Had I spare money, I would be interested in an artisan's pipe.

Absolutely no estates.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 2 months ago #
  11. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My collection is focused on one Italian brand, which I prefer to be new, and Danish artisan pipes, which encompass both new and estate. I have a few others in the stable, mostly new. I prefer new pipes. The break in process is a big part of the enjoyment of smoking for me.

Neal
    Posted 2 months ago #
  12. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

I love estates, as long as they've been well-maintained or well-restored. 99 times out of 100 an estate is the 'most pipe for the money'. However, there's nothing wrong with whichever one prefers, but I'm happy focusing on estates.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 2 months ago #
  13. tufftony

tufftony

Login to Send PM

I also can't fathom why someone would have a real issue with an estate pipe.
    Not to be confused with simple preference. People prefer what they prefer. That being
    said, and not getting into restoration requirements, pipes that have simply been smoked
    can be cleaned making them no different than a glass or fork in a restaurant in my mind.

Yes! Of course! I came to exactly the same conclusion myself. No one quibbles about
    using a restaurant's crockery or cutlery or a hotel's bathroom or bed because others
    before him or her have used them. So why the fuss about smoking a used pipe providing it
    has been well-cleaned? The hysterical phobia about 'germs' has been spread by manufacturers
    of germicides, not because they have your best interests at heart, but out of a potent
    desire to increase their profits

Posted 2 months ago #
  14. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I actually quibble about such things. I inspect carefully the cutlery at a restaurant and won't sit at a table that's not spotless, I'm highly uncomfortable using public restrooms, and I don't sleep comfortable at hotels.

Call me hysterical, but unless a pipe was used by a parent (both of which are antis, so no chance) or by a wife (which I don't have) who purchased it brand new, I won't stick it in my mouth.

Even my brand new pipes are religiously and carefully disinfected before the first smoke.

Posted 2 months ago #
  15. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No, not at all hysterical. I respect your decision entirely. I flush out new pipes, not for germ protection, but for factory detritus which may have found its way into the stem or bowl. (Also may remove some stains and help soften coatings.)

Posted 2 months ago #
  16. tufftony

tufftony

Login to Send PM

I hope I didn't inadvertently offend anyone as I wasn't alluding to any
    specific individual on the thread but to the social hysteria generated
    by advertisers wishing to push products.

Your point about "detritus" is well taken.

Posted 2 months ago #
  17. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Most of my pipes are estates. I have cleaned some up myself but I have bought most locally. Yesterday I locally picked up a 1975 Peterson Premier with a sterling silver band. It is in great shape and was a great price. The local B&M does a great job of estate cleaning and sale here.

Posted 2 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   npod, shanez, donjgiles, haparnold, jiminks, glassjapan, morgansteele, snoopy311, cossackjack, verporchting, sasquatch, mikefu, georged, elpfeife, alexnc, dmcmtk, tschiraldi