PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skulltula

Lurker
Aug 17, 2015
few weeks ago, my fiance's uncle had gone to an auction. Knowing I am interested in pipes, he found a couple of lots and won them for me on my behalf. One of these pipes from the lots is a meerschaum. Nice-looking, bent, and with an amber stem, this sure looked like the win of the year. Now, I'm no expert on meers, and I'm certainly not one for restoration. But the previous owner left a severely thick cake. I have reamed it multiple times with a napkin and high-proof alcohol (rum), and cleaned the stem such that it draws flawlessly. It would be ready to use, except...
I cannot actually draw through the stem while it's attached. The cake on the bottom is so thick that I think it blocked the actual draft hole with quite a large amount of crud, for I cannot poke a simple pipe cleaner through. And even worse than this, is that there's a dug-out portion of the cake which pokes straight through the bottom of the bowl.
I cannot post pictures at this time due to time constraints, but I wanted to leave this here for options-- should I send it to a pipe restorer, or is it a total loss?

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
It's not a total loss. It reads like you have an old pierced style draft configuration. That is, the hole is drilled down through the shank, and then the chamber is pierced to meet it. This results in a kind of j shaped draft. It's hard to clean so most old timers didn't bother. They'd smoke it til it clogged and get another pipe.

Sending it to a repair guy would be easiest. I'd expect any one of them could clean it up and fix it. But it might cost you as I think it would take some time. Plus old meerschaums can be delicate and some people don't like working on them.

If I were doing it, And I have done more than a few like this, I'd start by straightening a paper clip, bending the end a little, and using that to open the draft from shank to bowl. By sawing it around in there you can eventually loosen enough crud to allow a regular bent pipe cleaner through. Then eventually a lot of scrubby cleaners to get it clean. Dip them in alcohol to dissolve and pick up the crud.

I haven't ever fixed a chamber break through. I avoid pipes like that. But I guess I would use a dab of epoxy of some sort to seal it. Then I'd cover that in the chamber with pipe mud up to the draft hole.

I think all that should work and get it smoking fine. Take your time. Don't get frustrated.

Use some sand paper wrapped around a dowel or something to smooth the chamber walls and get them straight and even to the rim.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
there's a dug-out portion of the cake which pokes straight through the bottom of the bowl.
I don't understand what you're trying to describe.

If the pipe's bowl has a hole in the bottom, I'd forget about trying to restore it.

skulltula

Lurker
Aug 17, 2015
I don't understand what you're trying to describe.
The cake that is built up nearest to the shank is not a smooth convex, but rather, as if someone attempted to cleak the cake out with a pin or needle, in similar fashion to a plowed field, where a disc digs dirt in a straight line. That's the best description I can make, and this furrow runs from the top of the cake to where the bowl is pierced.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I will revise my earlier position. I thought you had a hole through the bottom of the pipe.
Some really old meerschaums have the bottom of the chamber carved pretty roughly. Sometimes the bottom isn't rounded, but tapers in a triangular manner to the draft hole.

Or you might be seeing the piercing I was referring to earlier. Instead of a round hole, it looks more like a cut line piercing into the draft passage drilled in the shank. If I'm reading you right, that's probably the way it was made. Without a pic it's hard to say what you are seeing.

Just carefully scrape out the cake and see what's left. It won't affect smoking either way.
Here's a pic of a pierced draft hole in an antique claw meerschaum. Not great photography, but maybe you can see what I mean.
Pierced%20Draft_zpsxzn74hos.jpg

skulltula

Lurker
Aug 17, 2015
Hope this works:
launch

If not, I'll try another medium.
xrundog: Yes, the tobacco chamber does have a hole through it. I can see daylight through when I peer downwards, right next to where the draught hole is.
Another thing I probably should have mentioned is that on the bottom, there's a square something-or-other, which can be seen in the first photo, in the center being the hole about which I've spoken. I might be wrong, but it looks as if something may have been glued or some manner of adhesive was used. The finish on the bottom is in pretty bad shape.
I'll go ahead and post now, and if it doesn work, I'll try some other photo hosting site.
EDIT: All right, that didn't work.

skulltula

Lurker
Aug 17, 2015
Okay, we'll try this. I do apologize for the double post, but I'm testing the waters out. I spent a lot of time online, so within a few minutes I gave imgur a try. So:
BN3iKcf.jpg

Sweet. Next:
GxOXg9R.jpg

And finally, the hole at the bottom of the chamber. As you can see, daylight (or in this case, a computer screen glow) is visible through the chamber. And I must apologize for the terrible photo quality.
9pRwlkQ.jpg

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Oh, cool! The hole had a piece of tape over it.
Okay, I stand by my original advice. Clean the crud off the outside. Use soap and water. You can clean the bowl surface that way too. If it won't come off, you can wet sand it lightly with 600 grit. It may affect the etching design a bit. But so what. Put a dab of epoxy in the hole. Mix up some pipe mud and dab some into the depression inside the bowl. Good to go.
Looks to me like someone drilled out the air passage and went too far.
You can also wet sand the rim to get the black off. Wipe it frequently with a rag too check your work. Use Micro Mesh polishing cloth or pads to hand polish the bowl. It will look good.

skulltula

Lurker
Aug 17, 2015
Thank you, rundog. That's really been a huge help. I'll give this a try during one of my next couple of days off and possibly post results! I know my description was vague and lousy, so now I can be more clear!

Status
Not open for further replies.