PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
My wife a I went shopping sunday and I stopped by this cigar and tobacco shop that is open on sundays. :D

I go in and they don't have alot of new pipes, but have a basket of estate pipes. Several of them where known brands.

I saw several I liked, there was a bent Jobey Saucer(smooth and rusticated finish), a Peterson Magnum Billiard, Grabows, among others. I then happend upon this GBD Lovat with an interesting bit. I paid 19.95 for it. Can anyone help dating this? Its a Sovereign 9465 shape. Round Made in London logo, "J" on the shank.

I will post my pic and one from smoking pipes. Value?
I cleaned it up and she is nice, but still working on the bit....its a pain.
gbdre.jpg

image from smoking pipes...
gbdsp.jpg

Jason

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Very nice. It's good to see GBD making a comeback in popularity. My first "good" pipe was a GBD pot I bought in 1970. I still have 8 or so in my rotation. Good luck with it.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
It is a long pipe for sure...I may smoke it tonight. It was in great shape, the band needed some polishing and i ran several rum soaked pipe cleaners through it. Not bad at all. The stem is gonna be a pain, the flat surfaces are easy, bust need to buff the nooks better. Should be a cool smoke with the length. Has perfect cake, so I'm gonna leave it alone for now.
-Jason

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Jason I have an Edwards that has a stem like that, I used a magic eraser and after I smoked it I coated it with chap stick let it sit a day and wiped it off, chap stick has sayilic acid and works wonders on stem ( hope I spelled it right) it"s not my idea, saw a you tube video on stem care, tried it and it works. The old cajun

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Killer find, Jason. I've never seen a GBD like that before.
I love that stem and am thinking it's a military mount, yes?
According to this link you have a Liverpool style:
http://www.perardua.net/pipes/GBDshape.html
And this link describes the Sovereign as either a 2nd or a line made for a pipe shop:
http://www.perardua.net/pipes/GBDlines.html
I doubt that it's a 2nd because of the GBD markings on the shank and stem. I also doubt that it was made for a reseller again because of same-same markings. I've got a couple of those and the only way you can tell they were made by GBD is the numbering, shape and Made in London stamp.
You've probably got an example of one of their lesser known lines and why it wasn't more popular is beyond me. It's a beautiful pipe and if you ever get tired of it please let me know.
Fnord

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Wow thanks Fnord, I have been all over the net today and only found a portion of your info. And yes its a military mount. I actually picked up a Jobey first, but that Liverpool :puffy: spoke to me.

I almost didn't get it because I have several straight pipes. Silly me.
care to guess when it was made?
Thanks again for the info.

-Jason

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I'd be whistling in the dark, Jason. GBDs had their greatest popularity in the late 50's, 60's and throughout the 70's in the U.S. thanks primarily to Smoker's Haven. So, my guess is that your new find is at least forty years old if not older - but that's sheer speculation on my part.
Before I relinquish the pulpit I do want to caution you about one thing: that "Made in London" can be very misleading on a GBD. A lot of burners were made in their St. Claude factories with that stamp. (So much for truth in advertising.)
Finally, you might want to reconsider that Jobey you set aside. No pipe manufacturer has a murkier history but their burners are fine smokers.
Cheers.
Fnord

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I plan on going back, he had several I could have picked up. Just didn't want blow my entire pocket cash I had and I have been eyeing a Savinelli Clark's favorite online..PAD....PAD!! LOL

I also notied a little blurb about the "made in london". I guess they didn't want to make a new stamp.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Very interesting. I have not yet seen a GBD Sovereign pipe. It sure wouldn't appear to be a second, with the brass rondell. The "Made in London" stamp would incidate it is a post-Cadogan merger pipe, some still came with Brass rondells. I have one myself, it smokes great, despite not being pre-Cadogan. I always assumed that pipe was made early in the merger and the bean counters had not yet pulled back quality (using the old briar stock and remaining brass rondells). Very neat!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
It appears that stem is a variation of the GBD "chair-leg" stem. They can be a pain to shine, but worth the effort. Value? Tough to say, I'd say after restoration, somewhere in the $50 to $75 range.

Status
Not open for further replies.