PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
do not wish to get involved with a tort
just bought 2 estates - one is a dunhill - lots of old cake in both bowls - reamer does not remove enough - wish to use kosher salt & alcohol but search did not work out too well -
is it better to use cotton rather than kosher salt -

then how much alcohol - just until the salt becomes a paste like texture ?

do i fill the bowl with salt then slowly pour in the warmed isopropyl alcohol or mix on saucer then somehow place mixture into bowl?

then how long to leave this in the bowl?
can someone find me a post - i was not successful with the search.
thanks

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
Ive seen both cotton used and salt. The idea is to get as much of each so that you draw out the chemicals and release the bonds.
If you do the cotton, stuff the bowl with some well moistened cotton balls and then leave it sit for a day with the alcohol and then let it air dry. Make sure to check the cotton balls to see if they are still moist. Seeing as the cake is really bad id say replace the cotton every few hours or as they discolor.
Salt treatment is pasty, much like grainy peanut butter. Takes a little longer to set up but works very well. You can fill the bowl or use it like a cover and then clean it out and see if the cake is more acceptable. And by fill the bowl i mean a thick enough layer to insure every bit is covered well. The videos on youtube will help and there is a few article on this forum that will help as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.