PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Evening all,
So I was in a vintage shop in town today and, amidst the dinged top hats and china trinkets and pocket watches, found a little old quarter-bent pot by "Machiavelli" for 22 euro. (Never heard of this marque before. Possibly an Italian factory second?) It seems to have been only moderately smoked, with minor cake, and apart from bad oxidation on the stem was in decent shape.
However, one side of the bowl had a patch of odd, faintly greenish-grey discoloration in the briar. It almost looked tarnished, if that makes any sense. I was wondering, has anyone noticed this before, and if so, is it fixable? Is it just an aesthetic blemish or will it affect smoking quality?
I'm sorely tempted to pull the trigger on the little fella but this issue is putting me off.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Thanks, Roth. It's a shame because it's a definitely a pretty thing, and should scrub up well. I was going to buy a cob or something this week anyway just to add to the rotation, and this one is cheap enough that it could do the job on that while also providing a fun restoration project.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Oh dear...now I've just found out about the Grezza series from Savinelli...I've always wanted a natural briar and I can get one for 40 quid...PAD PAD PAD

Status
Not open for further replies.