PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
So I recently ordered some tins for my cellar and got a very nice free sample of "Essence of Vermont" The 4Noggins site describes the blend as: A wide cut, hearty Burley with the essence of fresh Maple, blended with enough St. James Parish Perique to give it an aged sweetness with a slight hint of spiced raisins. Easy to smoke, it is the perfect all day baccy that won't assault your taste buds.
I have to say I was surprised to see that it has perique in it as the characteristic peppery sensation isn't there at all. This tobacco harkens back to the classic rum and maple of my early pipe days only it doesn't burn hot like many B&M bulk blends do. Rather this is a very nice cool smoke. I am an aromatic fan, but have been of late hunting for and discovering many Va's and Vapers that I like. I am generally drawn to sweet tasting tobaccos and I distinguish what I want to cellar by tobaccos that ghost my mouth pleasantly. "Essence of Vermont" does just that. I smoked a bowl last night and have since brushed my teeth twice and yet there is still a lingering sweetness in my mouth from it. Much the same sweetness that I experienced with Cut Virginia Plug. It is subtle, not overpowering in the smoke itself. The maple is subtle too, and makes for just a nice pleasant sweet smoke. I tried to detect the idea of spiced raisins and perhaps it is there, but as with many tobaccos there were things that I couldn't quite put my finger on, right on the edge of the tast buds. I would heartily recommend this blend and want to thank the guys at 4noggins for senidng it out. I have put it on my 1 lb or more cellar need list and can't wait to get some more in my pipe. I could see this becoming a regular smoke for me.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
Nice review - thanks!.

Another pipe tobacco to add to my list of ones I'd like to try.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Nice review, Shantiques.
After brushing your teeth twice the ghosting still stays? That gives me some concern..., although I haven't smoked an aro in quite a while. :)

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Yes it does but this isn't the only tobacco, that happens with lots of tobaccos I've smoked, it is just a subtle sweetness. Cut Virginia Plug is another one, and it isn't an aro.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Thanks, I will have to try it. I had sworn off Rum and Maple because I found they tasted little of rum or maple, until I tried Hearth and Home's Latham Circle. Russ did an excellent job with that one. 4Noggins has some great blends though, so I will give them a try.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Yeah it is tasty. I just got in my .5lb order and fired up a bowl. In this sampling the Perique comes out more, so the spiced raisin idea in the blend comes forth in the initial light and disappears about half way through the bowl for a nice mellow finish.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I just smoked my first bowl of this. The flavors that kept coming to my mind were figs, dates and molasses. Very good blend. Once again 4noggins has a tasty hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.