PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmojo

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2017
I have yet to explore the burley side. I am wondering about the flavor essence of burley blends in general. Latakia is heavy and smoky, Orientals are spicy, Virginias sweet, Perique peppery. So how would you describe burley flavor in a few words?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
It can be nutty in flavor, but it can also be reminiscent of things like oatmeal or Grape Nuts cereal. In its natural form, it's definitely dry rather than sweet, and it can be pleasantly bitter and sour.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nutty is the one nearly everyone tastes and recognizes. When various burleys are blended, you get over- and undertones that are pretty wide ranging, if you are someone who can taste burley. Some can't taste it at all; some don't like the taste; and some enjoy it selectively. Then some of us seem to like most single-leaf and burley blends, if not all. With some blends I can get a little twang of pear, nutmeg, jerky. Maybe even some floral in some, not aromatic flavoring. But these are faint and subtle, along with the omnipresent nutty. Chinese dim sum ... but only when I'm hungry.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Most burleys have some sort of topping, I think. Their primary similarity is their nicotine content.

An untopped burley can taste sour and develop toward a more sweet taste, a process that involves not only development of the particular bowl being smoked but the smoker's pallet.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
NewBroom: As a former(and somewhat current?cigarette/cigar guy)I cant help wondering is it this round ,nutty biteyless taste punched up with some nicotine which especially appeals to me in medium strong Burley blends,Yet I love that Kentucky Dark fired in moderation,

oldmojo

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2017
I just sprung for a couple ounces of Pegasus, for starters. Thanks to Tom for the recommendations and insights.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Nutty, Oatmeal, with sour notes, dry, and scrumptious.
Best Blends I've found with Burley
C&D Haunted Bookshop

C&D Old Joe Krantz

C&D Purple Cow

C&D Big N Burley

GL Pease Barbary Coast
There is a trend here. House Cornell & Diehl and Bob Runowski.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Death...can't buy that bread in NC!
Blasphemy! I'd offer to send some, but I doubt it would make it through the trip with all flavor intact.
Agreed with @perdurabo about some of the great Burleys, and @Sean regarding five brothers, and inevitably @mso4889 will mention Semois, which is also good. I have to speak up for Cotton Boll Twist as well.

oldmojo

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2017
I'm about halfway through 2 ounces of C&D Pegasus. Very nice, and a welcome contrast to my normal Balkans and VaPers. Mild, no bite, walnuts, a touch of bitter along with a peek of sweet from the Virginias. I'll be buying more.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Nuts and cocoa and porridge and hay. So many great burleys mentioned already, but I will suggest Solani's ABF and Silver Flake, GL Pease's JackKnife Plug and Savenilli's Doblone d'Oro as well as Mac Baren's ODF and BK. Some of these contain other types of tobacco leaf, but the burley (often dark fired burleys) lends these blends a delicious je ne sais quoi.

Reactions: Dandy Pipesmoker

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I want to like burley, but I'm just not a fan. I've tried Haunted Bookshop, and other fabled blends, but I just can't get into them. I don't mind burley mixed into an other type of blend, say an English, like PS English Oriental Supreme. It adds a nice note next to the cavendish. But burley based blends just aren't for me.
However, nutty or woody is how I would describe them.

Status
Not open for further replies.