Tags:  No tags yet. 

Esoterica, what's the story?

(35 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by thomasmartin
  • Latest reply from zitotczito
  1. thomasmartin

thomasmartin

Login to Send PM

Penzance was one of my favorites back then. Naturally I attempted to purchase some after my comeback only to realize that this stuff is impossible to find. What is the problem? Is Esoterica out of business? Can't they produce more or don't they want to to keep demand an prizes high? I understand that it's a small company. Not producing more may be a sound business policy (marginal costs, quality assurance etc.) but it's just frustrating.

Thomas
    Posted 3 years ago #
  2. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

I only started with pipe several years ago,
    when I first started, Esoterica was fairly available,
    I remember Tilbury and Dorchester being 2 of my early faves...

...but, I think at some point, due to the pipe boom I guess, demand outstripped supply and they've been playing catch-up ever since, the situation may have also been aggravated by the high dollar aftermarket - many people would buy the stuff because they knew they could flip it for a profit, and the big 2 always sell out in a manner of literal minutes - there may even be a few bad apples in the distro network who keep it to sell only on the aftermarket, who knows? But as of late, ebay has seemed to crack down on all that and Esoterica listings are only a fraction of what they were, maybe it'll help?

See also:
    http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/looking-for-krumble-kake

&

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/esoterica-tobacciana-a-history

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The link provided by misterlowercase really sums it up. It's a small, privately held firm that does things the old way, and doesn't intend to change. Rather refreshing, in this day and age. (I miss Penzance,too - I still have a couple of tins stashed away.)

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 3 years ago #
  4. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Years ago you could buy Penznace, Stonehaven, and pretty much anything else without any difficulty. Then, about 6-7 years ago, there was a shortfall in the amount shipped which resulted in a full blown panic that has not subsided. When production resumed, hoarding became common. eBay scalping hasn't helped, and demand has increased.

All of this interferes with the staff's ability to spend time fishing and sleeping in the afternoon, which in turn makes them feel cross. The only solution for this is for the workers to take long walks along the beach. Every now and then they pop in to see if the doors are still open and if their paycheck is ready.

One of my friends in the UK put it this way, Germains is considered "unreliable". Lovely understatement.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 3 years ago #
  5. drennan

drennan

Login to Send PM

According to tobacco cellar the 3rd and 4th most cellared blends are Penzance and Stonehaven.

If people didn't panic buy perhaps there would be enough to round?

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. pylorns

James Foster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hmm, I should check how that data matches up in thepipetool.com

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That would be curious, Pylorns. I would more easily concede that they are the 3rd and 4th most SOUGHT after tobaccos.

Eventually, the ready supply of other tobaccos will naturally push them out of the top cellared positions.

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. lucky695

lucky695

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So what is the NEXT Esoterica? What should we stock up on now to have for tomorrow. I know what I am stocking up on what about you guys? (Guys is a blanket statement not meant to rule out anyone of the female persuasion)

"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis
    Posted 3 years ago #
  9. dulgunz

dulgunz

Login to Send PM

I think everyone should stock up on Mixture 79!

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. jkrug

jkrug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Esoterica products are indeed very elusive. I was fortunate to acquire a small amount from a good fellow when the last batch was released. Hopefully you will be able to secure some on the next go round.

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. phil67

phil67

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If people didn't panic buy perhaps there would be enough to round?

It's a tad too late for that now as the ball is rolling and it's only going to snowball further. Both Penzance and Stonehaven are good tobaccos, but certainly nothing to get an erection over in my opinion. If by chance I happen to run across either of them at a fair price ($38.00+-) I'll most certainly grab a bag (which I've done in the past), but other than that it's nothing that I obsess about in the least. There are way too many other easily obtainable good tobaccos out there that are just as good, if not better, to satisfy my palate. Kinda makes life easier...

~I started out with nothing, and still have most of it.~
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. Mark Twain
    Posted 3 years ago #
  12. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^^^^ yes...

"the weez"...
    Posted 3 years ago #
  13. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm guilty of this. If I see any for sale online or B&M I buy all of it they'll let me. I LOVE the stuff. If it helps, after cleaning out a store, I do feel kinda bad about it for a lil bit.

Nate @ Moody AL
    Posted 3 years ago #
  14. brass

brass

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Occasionally, a member will give us a heads up when a B&M has it in stock. Of course, that B&M then sells out in the next few minutes to the next few hours. I was able to get a bag of Stonehaven after reading a member's tip.

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The problem is that there are only 6 people who work at the factory.

Harris
    Posted 3 years ago #
  16. phil67

phil67

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The problem is that there are only 6 people who work at the factory.

... and four of them are part time workers while one has been on family leave for the past eight years.

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Aha! We have met the enemy and it is us. Or, at least iamn8! I'm sure there are others who do the same and then laugh up their sleeves at those of you who bemoan the lack of product. Either that or they sit giggling in their massive, well stocked cellars. Cellars which contain more than one person could possibly smoke in a lifetime and nary a thought of sharing with those who have tighter limits on the old credit card. And, if they do share, it is with an air of condescension.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  18. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Warren, you've been a loyal and faithful subject for quite some time. This 24th Day of 2015, I shall bequeath to thee a small pittance of Penzance. Now, please kiss my ring and be off.

Please know I'm kidding. I was gifted a bag when I'd never tried it previously and now I'm a junkie

Posted 3 years ago #
  19. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Seems like Mac Baren is doing a good job of filling the niche -- at least with their hot pressed blends.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 3 years ago #
  20. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not a huge fan of hoarding, I say buy your bag, or two at the most, then leave some for the rest of those that would like some too. The people that hoard it the most are the same ones that complain about it's lack of availability. You're a victim of your own doing.

I find very little value in both Penzance and Stonehaven. I've tried both of them and don't need to smoke anymore to know that I don't need to chase that unicorn.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  21. plugugly

plugugly

Login to Send PM

Cortez has it right on the MacBaren.

Plugugly

Lead,Follow-Or Get Out Of The Way!
    Posted 3 years ago #
  22. jmatt

jmatt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've got some of both. I enjoy Penzance. I absolutely LOVE Stonehaven.

If anyone wants some Penzance and can trade me some Stonehaven.....

Posted 3 years ago #
  23. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

iamn8: Your pusher probably has stock in the company. That's how it starts you know. That ring better be on your finger.

Posted 3 years ago #
  24. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Warren, I had that same thought. I was reminded of a dealer handing out "good coke" to school kids. To make it even worse, it was an 8oz bag from like 2001 I think. Now if I'm lucky enough to find any, I have to wait well over a decade to get a similar taste. Upon tasting the first smoke I thought damn this is sooooo good. Followed by, oh damn...
    Today, for the first time, I'll smoke some unaged Penzance. I'm actually hoping that the aging was mostly responsible for that taste because then I can just put what I have away and try to forget about it. I needn't buy anymore ever again.

Posted 3 years ago #
  25. thomasmartin

thomasmartin

Login to Send PM

What would be the Mc Baren that's like Penzance. Pray tell me more. That Balkan flake?

Posted 3 years ago #
  26. dustmite

dustmite

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure how to feel about Esoterica tobacco. Half of me wants to try it to see what all the fuss is about. The other half doesn't want too just because of the hoarding mentality that seems to follow it. I guess it's a moot point because it's never available, anyway...

Posted 3 years ago #
  27. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree that the Esoterica blends are vastly overrated. Move along. Nothing to see here.

Posted 3 years ago #
  28. phil67

phil67

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree that the Esoterica blends are vastly overrated. Move along. Nothing to see here.

Yep, listen to peck as he now only has 22 lbs. of Stonehaven and 9+ lbs. of Penzance left in his cellar. As he said, move along now less he finds it difficult to obtain any more with the likes of you meager interlopers.

Posted 3 years ago #
  29. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Yep, listen to peck as he now only has 22 lbs. of Stonehaven and 9+ lbs. of Penzance left in his cellar.

Jumping catfish!! That's Germains' total output for the past decade! No wonder this stuff is so hard to find!

Posted 3 years ago #
  30. settersbrace

settersbrace

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

1-Q is the next Penzance, better hurry folks, supplies are limited!!

De gustibus et cloribus non disputandum.
    'There is no arguing about tastes and colours.'
    Posted 3 years ago #
  31. lucky695

lucky695

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

1-Q? i have pounds of that... no seriously? I'll start another thread.

Posted 3 years ago #
  32. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've said before and I'll say it again, as a community we must unite and raid Pecks castle!! To the victors go the spoils!!!!

ps. Penzance aged almost 15yrs, it turns out, is quite different from unaged Penzance.

Posted 3 years ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

limits on the old credit card.

You have a credit card? Nice. Some of us can only hope the stuff comes in stock on the day the once a month deposit hits the bank. That's actually a good thing. I'd hate to get hit with the bill later after I've found out it really wasn't worth it.

But seriously, I understand the desire to try something that is so coveted. I was lucky. Penzance and Stonehaven were not quite so hard to find at one time and I got both. I was also still working and money was not such an issue so double the luck. I like Stonehaven OK, but it's not the end all of other VA/BURS. Penzance, pfft, it's not the holy grail either. I have given or traded away all but one bag of that vile weed. The best I ever got from Penzance was the satisfaction of helping others less fortunate.

Now before anybody PM's me for that last bag save your fingers. You never know, my tastes could change and I'll have a bit left for me.

What's really interesting to me. There's another E blend that nobody hardly ever mentions. I'ma shut up now

Posted 3 years ago #
  34. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you just wait for one of the big 3 or 4 on line retailers to contact you when it is in stock, it will be a bitch to get a decent quantitiy of both Penzance and Stonehaven. I once had a small mom and pop offer me 15 bags of Penzance but since I don't smoke it, I told a friend to call them and he got it. It is out there if you are willing to do the leg work, small mom and pops sit on this stuff and watch it age because they don't have the customers to sell to. There are so many places that have no internet presence and only rely on walk in traffic. Tons of people don't even know what Stonehaven and Penzance are. I always started calling the mom and pops in the low tax states when I wanted Stonehaven.

Posted 3 years ago #
  35. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Booker, quiet my good man.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cshubhra, lloydcole, clickklick, smipe, shayde, brassmonkey, redglow