Esoterica Tobacco in stock at Cup o'Joes.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
6 Fresh Castello Pipes
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Good for them at keeping a one tin/bag limit. That way the hoarders with a shit load of money, who will more likely than not be able to smoke all of the crap they have stored already, will give others a chance to perhaps purchase and try some. :wink:

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Too bad there was no Penzance but thanks a million for the heads up. One day I will get a bag! Some Peacehaven for now.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Too bad there was no Penzance but thanks a million for the heads up. One day I will get a bag!
Good luck with that. Actually, I can’t stand Latakia and have no interest in most of the Esoterica blends other than perhaps being able to try a bowl or two of some Stonehaven someday, but no big thing what with all of the other numerous blends available that are probably just as good, if not better.
It would seem as though whenever a particular tobacco becomes difficult to obtain, popular (for whatever reason) and or perhaps is under suspicion of no longer being produced the ‘Carpetbagger’s’ of pipe tobacco, as it were, swoop down to hoard and purchase all that they can for investment purposes only. Sorry state of affairs for those that simply wish to truly enjoy pipe smoking for what it is, and the simple enjoyment of it, but that’s just simply the way it is and pipe tobacco, for some, has become nothing more than a commodity.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I would love a bag to enjoy but I won't be buying any for market speculation purposes. It is sad when opportunists take limited product from the hands of those who would simply enjoy it. That is the internet, auction house era we live in though. I have tried Penzance and it's good enough to want more but not so much that I would pay even close to the eBay prices. Que sera sera.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
Honestly, I wish more places would raise their prices on Esoterica to this level. It might prevent a bit of the speculation, and probably isn't going to run off any actual smokers.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I don't have a problem with people buying whatever they like with their money. I also don't have any say on how they sell it. Neither thought means I don't have an opinion about it and their motives. At the end of the day, it's nice when limited items go to people who appreciate and use them. Anytime a hobby has a boost in popularity it brings opportunists who care nothing for the hobby and are happy to gouge those that do. I know a few members have impressive cellars. I also see them being kind and generous people here on this forum and I do not think they are buying to profit as much as secure some of what they love before it's too late. I could be wrong but that is my perception. I know you are kind and generous through personal experience. At the end of the day, I would like to see good tobacco in the hands of those who will enjoy it now or at least down the line. It's just an opinion... or more of an ideal, if you will. Ebay will still exist, speculators will still exist and opportunists will still exist. I will watch and wait, hoping to get what I want and that's okay with me. People can do whatever they like but I enjoy the camaraderie and generosity that I see here more than I like what I see on Ebay. I like it when retailers set limits on hard to get items so more people can enjoy them. If the price is going to go up because of demand, I would like that money to go to the blenders and pipe based businesses rather than re-sellers. But those are all just my opinions on things and when it comes down to it, who am I? Nobody important in the pipe world, I can tell you that

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
What I don't understand is the controversy surrounding Esoterica's pricing and availability. The product is in demand, the supply limited, the price rises. This is market basics, and has been going on since the first men traded two bananas for one cocoanut. Who makes the money, whether it is the tobacco farmer, broker, distributor, manufacturer or secondary market is immaterial. It is all based on value and availability to the next purchaser in line.
There have been economies that have attempted to circumvent this, but in the end, they fail miserably because they are attempting to alter basic human behavior. It's whack-a-mole. Press down in one area of the economy, things will pop up in another. Or it will all go to hell in a hand basket.
In the end, I love some of Esoterica's blends. I buy blended tobacco for the enjoyment of smoking, so I have to weigh just how much that enjoyment is worth to me. It definitely has an added value simply because it is so damned good. And rightfully so.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
So, I had deleted my post from last night because I thought it sounded way to snarky. I like your well-put opinion woodsroad, it is just economics. In my mind, someone who flips a bag of Penzance on Ebay is no different than the retailer who bought at wholesale and sold to the consumer. I am certainly not going to pass judgement on anyone for doing what they like with their own property. That said, daimyo, I agree with you too- it is nice when people appreciate it when they can enjoy a rare product. I am glad that most Esoterica retailers set limits, it helps distribute the good stuff more equally, instead of all of it ending up in the cellars of a few people.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Oh, don't get me wrong. If party A wants to sell and Party B agrees to the price, then that is all there is to it. I also wouldn't expect anyone to age tobacco for me for free. It's just nice to see people helping one another and I tend to like prices better at pipestud's than on eBay and know what I am getting. Not seeking to change capitalism or control peoples actions. Elpfeife is correct as well, plenty of other good blends. I will know stop commenting on this subject both here and in general, lest i have to bust out my "beating a dead horse" gif on myself.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like to avoid getting hot for tobacco that isn't readily available. As the man said, there is plenty of

wonderful leaf of all kinds at your command. When something is available, sometimes it doesn't seem

nearly so urgent, so draw your own conclusions.

ruscho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
I like to avoid getting hot for tobacco that isn't readily available. As the man said, there is plenty of

wonderful leaf of all kinds at your command. When something is available, sometimes it doesn't seem

nearly so urgent, so draw your own conclusions.
Couldn't agree more. I had a tin of Penzance sitting in the stash for a few years, I was just reluctant to open it because of the lack of availability; what if it was divine and I had to start ebaying it at those $200/bag prices?!
Finally popped the tin a few days ago and I wasn't all that impressed. Sure, it's quality tobacco, but not something I would keep in rotation, even at "normal" prices and availability levels.
P.S. Hate purchase restrictions - what's this, China? Today I can have just one tin of tobacco, tomorrow just one child...Damn communists are everywhere these days.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I think you would have to dry penzance a bit, I finally tried some, it was a bit on the moist side, and I didn't find it anything like the smoke of the God's either, but I think if it's a bit drier alot of the flavor will come out more. So I'm not ready to make a definite statement on it yet. However one blend I would hoard right now is SPC Missippi River, which is even more limited than penzance technically. One bowl of that and I think that is the best tobacco I have smoked so far.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I was chasing Stonehaven, I bought most of mine from small mom and pops who gladly would sell all they had. I never got any from PC or SP and was also lucky with trading for some. It is the only Esoterica blend I smoke and I would never sell my stash of Stonehaven, I buy tobacco to smoke.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
As I've mention here, and several other times that I don't like Latakia. However, for some odd reason I thought I'd give SPC Missippi River a try as supposedly it doesn't contain all that much Latakia. I bought a tin about a month ago and it didn't have the usual strong Latakia smell and it was indeed a smooth and damn good tasting baccy! With that I immediately ordered another tin with my last baccy purchase. Granted, the Latakia was there, but to a very small extent and it would seem that this is about, thus far, the only Latakia tobacco that I can really enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.