PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
I have a line on handful of esoterica tobacco in bulk. I did not know bulk was an option. Or these might be old left over that shop has not sold. I did not get a chance to sample or smell test, will do that tommorow.
Question, what do you guys think of bulk older tobacco in bulk jars? Do they go stale or lose that latikia scent. They are blends that I have not tried before, on to bed and dunbar so I do not know what look for.
Thanks
Edited for capitalization: See forum rule #9 ~Cosmic

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Dunbar is a particular favorite of mine, a Virgina Perique Blend. Depending on the type of jar, it may be dried out, BUT unless it is crispy, it can be rehydrated. As hard to find as the stuff is, I would buy it in a heartbeat. It is nearly impossible to get. And So To Bed is their take on Nightcap, supposedly heavy Latakia. It is slightly easier to get, I even have a tin of it in my stash. It, too, can be rehydrated. All that being said, yes, it may lose some strength depending on how dry it is, but I like how Latakias mellow out over time. If I were you, I'd go for it. Even crispy it is good stuff.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Dunbar is wonderful! # sigh. If you don't pull the trigger, PM me. I'd be happy to help, lol! I would pur them in small mason jars to preserve them. They'll last years!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have never been completely satisfied with tobacco that needed extreme rehydration. Most of my attempts yielded "smokeable" tobacco, but fell short of the original. My impression is that in addition to water loss, something else, like oils or other organics, change for the worse. (It's my understanding, however, that the leaf we smoke probably gets dried-out and rehydrated several times during the journey from farm to final packaging. So take a shot, unless it looks like mummy dust.)

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
And So To Bed is their take on Nightcap, supposedly heavy Latakia.
I don’t know where you got this information but it is wrong. ASTB is similar to Smokers Haven 20th Anniversary Mixture both have an ale topping and both are much lighter in Latakia than Nightcap.
It's my understanding, however, that the leaf we smoke probably gets dried-out and rehydrated several times during the journey from farm to final packaging. So take a shot, unless it looks like mummy dust.)
Hmmm that’s interesting you say that. I’ve never had luck with extreme rehydration projects either and not only does it not fair well I’ve had times where it causes me tongue bite and this is from a blend that normally would not give me tongue bite in it’s original state.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Esoterica "bulk" is probably just dumped out from 8oz. bags. I've never heard of it coming in larger quantities for bulk sale. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
I don’t know where you got this information but it is wrong. ASTB is similar to Smokers Haven 20th Anniversary Mixture both have an ale topping and both are much lighter in Latakia than Nightcap.
@hawky454 - not sure if that's the case, either. I thought ASTB had apricot topping? Sure tastes like it, and I don't get ale at all.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
In either 1989 or 1990, Steve Richman of The Piedmont Tobacconist came up with the idea of having J.F. Germain make a new line of blends to be called Esoterica Tobacciana. Some people have said the blends were launched to fill a vacuum after the famous Smoker's Haven blends had been discontinued and no longer made by Sobranie and later JFG, so we have this:

Many moons ago prior to 1960, Sobranie made private label blends for Smoker's

Haven here in Columbus. Sobranie white was Our Best Blend....Cognac was

Sobranie white with a cognac blender...20th anniversary was White with an Ale

Blender. And Krumble Kake was unique...essentially Sobranie White made into a

cake then sliced. The owners of SH had a letter from Dr Redstone, the big boss

at Sobranie Limted attesting to that. In 1980 with little or no warning

Sobranie got out of the private label business and the owner of Smokers' Haven

had to scramble - Dr. Redstone was mortified at his compnay's decision and

volunteered to help find a replacement company. They came up with 2 --- Robt

McConnell and JF Germain. Joe Zieve, the owner of Smokers'Haven for some

reason did not like Mick McConnell and the decision was taken to let JF Germain

have the account. Thus JF Germain began making these excellent blends.

Sometime after 1985 the new owners of Smokers's Haven came to a parting of the

way with Germain...I had left by then and I don't know the reason.

Then suddenly Esoterica appears. And guess what....an Ale, a cognac, a sliced

cake and a great English appeared on the scene.

Our Best Blend = Margate

Cognac = Pembroke

20th Anniversary = ...And so to bed

Krumble Kake = Penzance
History Of Esoterica
I have seen that Jim Inks has said that he picks up on apricot in ASTB but I don't think it's neccasarily topped with it per say but I could be wrong. Have you tried 20th Anniversary? It does taste strikingly similar to And So To Bed. Regardless, it surely wasn't their version of Nightcap. The above link is a wonderful thread started by MLC and worth a look if you have not already read it.

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
Reporting back, got 2oz of Dunbar and 2 oz of on to Bed. They were moist and with good aroma. They had Briton, peacehaven and some other blends but no Penzance or Margate.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
I have seen that Jim Inks has said that he picks up on apricot in ASTB but I don't think it's neccasarily topped with it per say but I could be wrong. Have you tried 20th Anniversary? It does taste strikingly similar to And So To Bed. Regardless, it surely wasn't their version of Nightcap. The above link is a wonderful thread started by MLC and worth a look if you have not already read it.
Thanks for the link - very interesting and informative. I'm confused, though, because it seems to imply that Germain no longer makes Smokers Haven blends.
ASTB tastes very apricot-like to me. It's my least favorite of the Eso Latakia blends because of it. But I'll try it again with the ale thing in mind. That sure makes it sound good, and I love Pembroke with the cognac topping. Haven't tried tried 20th Anniversary.
I also wonder what the Eso equivalent of Exotique might be. Margate? Or maybe something unique.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I know what ya mean, I think there were a couple of years in the mix where Germain had stopped making Smokers Havens blends entirely, but I could be wrong, they have quite an interesting history.
I’ll look for the link but rumor has it that Our Best Blend was Germain’s answer to Balkan Sobranie and Exotique was their version of Balkan Sobranie 759. I don’t think Germain has made a version of Exotique for Esoterica, although if ya like that chances are you’ll like Margate too.
As far as ale goes? I honestly don’t really get that either... could be both ale and apricot, who knows?
Glad you enjoyed the link.
Oh and I apologize if my original post came off as rude, I just re-read it and it came of rude to me. I surely didn’t mean it as such and hell you could absolutely be right, what the hell do I know anyway?? Lol. Anyway, I sincerely hope no offense was taken.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
I’ll look for the link but rumor has it that Our Best Blend was Germain’s answer to Balkan Sobranie and Exotique was their version of Balkan Sobranie 759. I don’t think Germain has made a version of Exotique for Esoterica, although if ya like that chances are you’ll like Margate too.
Interesting. So I wonder if the current Germain Sobranie is the same as OBB?
I didn't find any of your posts ryue, btw.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Interesting. So I wonder if the current Germain Sobranie is the same as OBB?

My thoughts exactly. It's been so long since I've had Germain's Sobranie and I honestly don't remember it. In theory, they should be the same. OBB is an excellent smoke so I would imagine that Sobranie is as well but there is a lot of negative talk about it in the forums.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Esoterica bulk production.

bb2cb-6-600x4001.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.