PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Summary: a smooth Latakia-oriented English using matured Virginias for more of a grain-like flavor than the usual sweet tangy taste.
Like its cousin "Margate," Esoterica "Penzance" takes the medium English formula to new levels of smoothness by tempering the extremes of its ingredients. In particular, the Virginias used here appear aged or pressed or otherwise reduced in acidity, and the Latakia has been restrained from its pine-smoke extremes. Together, these ingredients give this tobacco a solid middle band presence and allow the Orientals to crest to the top, creating a delightfully mellow smoke. If you ever wanted Dunhill "Standard Mixture" to have less zing and more cream, this is the blend to do it.
Thanks to Pipes Magazine forum member "shikano53" for this generous sample.
Similar Blends: Dunhill - Standard Mixture, Esoterica Tobacciana - Margate.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/498#review84017
I have a five level scale based on TR's four levels. The fifth is whether I decide something is a favorite or not. So far, "Penzance" is ranked a four but not a five. It is however a thoroughly enjoyable mellow English.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
I hear it is garbage. If that's the case I will buy it off anyone for 15.00 a tin to dispose of into my cellar. I don't think I have enough to last.

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
troutface, Ambiance...fricking awesome!! Smoke aros there...killing me!! Well played sir!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Ambiance- my two year old son's favorite word- though he was referring to "ambulance".
Penzance is a small town in West Cornwall, not far from the end of the land, a town called "Land's End". Also the name of a British warship sunk long ago. And a Gilbert and Sullivan operetta (? Play?) and my Lord do we have yet another P thread!!

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
It's the most sought after tobacco. Though one can smoke gaslight for half the price and at will. Gaslight=superb. Penznace=superior, just to tiring unicorn chasing.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
Maybe it's me (and I don't profess to have a superior sense of taste), but I find this quite similar to Squadron Leader. I personally don't see all the hype about it, but as usual, taste is quite subjective.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Glad you enjoyed it man.

I have a few other blends that I just got from 4noggins that I enjoy more. Magnum Opus and Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding. I find that my palette changes depending on if I measure my glass of 15 year old Glenfiddich by the finger method vertically or horizontally. So do other things as well.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I find that my palette changes depending on if I measure my glass of 15 year old Glenfiddich by the finger method vertically or horizontally.
You know, there's truth in that. I appreciate the sample. It was interesting to see why people like it, and to realize that despite admiring it, I am somewhat ambivalent because I like the rough edges on some of my favorite Englishes (Engine 99, Standard Mixture).
I'm just glad I managed to resist the temptation to claim it was just Mixture 79 in a new package.
I smoke Rumper all day every day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRHKXKVABVc

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
DeathMetal I'm rumped. Don't listen to death metal often, but I love the time signature changes and Grand Classical Compositions. I liked Deicide. Love galloping bass drums, on Legion. Benton reminds me of Crowley. Tongue in his cheek and exploiting the gullible.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
We need an international pipe club meeting just to smoke Rumpers and Semois.
Semois, by my lights, is a great smoke. It's a sweet natural Burley with depth that emerges from that basic flavor. It's now a favorite and all-day standby.

4etecjonathan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2015
I just received for Christmas today a 8 oz. package of Penzance. My wife wants to know if it was worth the money She paid for it ?? :rofl: I want her to read several replies that I'm sure will come from the Fine Tobacco Gallery that all you guy's help to make up.
Thanks

Jon :puffpipe: :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.