PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I got a couple ounces of Esoterica Tobacciana Pembroke in my windfall and am just getting around to trying it. It's the English Margate mixed with French cognac. You're supposed to smoke it slightly moist, but mine, though tubbed, is on the edge of crispy. I just loaded a fairly large bowl in my Comoy's Silver Shadow Billiard, one of my five favorite pipes. Here's my only pic of the Comoy's:
IMG_2223_zpsed157185.jpg

There is some nice birdseye on the other side you can't see in my crummy pic.
I LOVE this stuff! Normally, I prefer my tobacco not to be flavored, and I've never had a real cognac I've enjoyed. I bought a $150 bottle up in Omaha, to see if I liked a fancy one, but though refined, I didn't like it any more than the cheap ones. Also, sandoval gave me a couple bowls of regular Margate, so I can compare the two.
It's creamy and smoky, and seems to change as I smoke down the bowl. The cognac seems a bit fruity, yet doesn't overwhelm the Orientals and Latakia, but adds a subtlety I really like. The Virginia provides a solid tobacco base. I was expecting a chemical taste, but am finding none. If I could have only 965/Nightcap or Pembroke, I would go Dunhill, but fortunately I can have both.
It's definitely not cheap, 4noggins lists 8oz at $29, but if you have the means, I highly recommend it as a fine English with an unexpected subtle fruity twist.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
Just a PSA... Pembroke, And So To Bed, and Margate are available at the Briar Patch in Sacramento. I've never dealt with them online but have heard positive experiences about them. Priced kind of high, but they probably have some age to them as they only have 2 oz. tins available. $18.50 I believe. This is all from memory from a recent call I made to them out of pure boredom.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I also recently had a chance to try Pembroke and I love the stuff! I have had Margate on several occasions and found it enjoyable as well. The addition of the cognac in Pembroke gives it that little extra sweetness that goes so well with the Margate flavor, without making it anything like a goopy aromatic. It burns nice and dry and is in my opinion an outstanding use of a flavoring component. The fact that it's one of the easier Esoterica blends to find it also a big plus!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
"It's definitely not cheap, 4noggins lists 8oz at $29,"
Are you kidding?? That is cheap!
If this were sold in 2oz. tins, that would work out to $7.25 for a tin! When was the last time you bought a 2oz. tin of high-quality, name-brand tobacco for $7.25?
Bob

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I guess I'm used to buying bulk; I don't buy tins. I can get 8oz of bulk Luxury Navy Flake for $15, so it seemed expensive to me. I'm not used to buying tins. I guess I just said, 'The MM Freehand is not cheap, at $30, but a good smoker'. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.