Esoterica Online Retailers ~ Who Are They?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

baccyfart

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2015
I am seeing that esoterica blends are infrequently available online, but does anyone have a list of sites that carries them?

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Pretty much every site carries them, it's getting them when their in stock in that 15 minute window of opportunity. However if you're after ones other than Penzance, Stonehaven or Dunbar they aren't as hard to come by as you'd think. Also if you go to an actual tobacconist sometimes they'll have it sitting around for the taking.

baccyfart

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2015
good one highplains! i'd really like to score a bag of penzance some day. just to try it out.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Many online retailers sell it, but the stock/production, when available, is very limited. You can subscribe on some sites to have them send you an email when it's in stock, albeit you had better be pretty damn well quick if you should happen to receive such a notification as it will disappear in a matter of minutes. Unfortunately, the hype on Penzance and Stonehaven has all become overblown beyond belief and not really all that deserving of it.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
"Want to know my morel and antler shed hunting spots too?"
Man I love morels.
What do you use the antler sheds for? I know they're good dog chews.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
phil,
Unfortunately, the hype on Penzance and Stonehaven has all become overblown beyond belief and not really all that deserving of it.
You are totally correct, both blends suck, and no one should waste their time looking for them. Stonehaven is the one that is the most hyped and definitely undeserving of it's reputation.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
What do you use the antler sheds for?
Elk antlers are big bucks around here. Rich folks from Cali and NJ gotta have a big elk antler chandelier in their 'cabins' in Vail, Jackson, Yellowstone Club, etc.
Morels are big bucks too, but I have never collected them for money. Mighty tasty.

Dec 24, 2012
phil,
Unfortunately, the hype on Penzance and Stonehaven has all become overblown beyond belief and not really all that deserving of it.
You are totally correct, both blends suck, and no one should waste their time looking for them. Stonehaven is the one that is the most hyped and definitely undeserving of it's reputation.
I am with Hrris and Phil. Don't waste your time in searching for these blends. The only blend that is worse is Germain's Brown Flake.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
My question is, aside from the usual suspects (Penzance, Stonehaven, Dunbar, Dorchester, Tilbury...), what other blends might you be looking for? Morels...don't get me started!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Cosmic, Peacehaven's worth a go? I've read it's a lighter Virginia Flake, although many have very positive things to say about it.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I guess it's only human nature to want what you can't have, or at least difficult to obtain. Not that long ago there was somewhat the same hunt/desire/run for Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake (3 cheers for me please for not using one of those damnable acronyms), albeit not as difficult to obtain as Penzance or Stonehaven. Now, for some reason, one can easily obtain it at it's proper price quite easily. Actually it's all to blame on the Internet. Years ago no such thing would even be fathomable in obtaining any particular type of blend, but when word spreads about some particular blend having good reviews, which is obviously all relative, all hell breaks loose. This is especially compounded with the Esoterica blends seeing that they are produced in limited batches which has nothing whatsoever to do with them being 'special' in any way, but simply a matter of them not being produced in huge quantities like other manufactures.
I was able to eventually obtain some Penzance and Stonehaven, but I absolutely refused to pay more than what it's retail price should be ($36.95+- per 8 oz. bag). Are they good, including WBCDF... yep. But, I certainly didn't get an erection over them. What with all of the blends I have, which isn't all as much as many probably have, and considering that I only smoke about two to three bowls a day I'm pretty well set. When the time comes, which will indeed take some time, that I run out of Penzance and Stonehaven and I find that I can't obtain it at it's proper retail price I seriously doubt that doubt I'll lose any sleep over it. Way too many other good and comparable blends out there that are more easily obtainable than to be concerned over such trivial nonsense as Penzance, Stoneahven, etc. :wink:

baccyfart

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2015
you guys are flipp'in hilarious! i really enjoy the humor! kinda figured no one would give up their "fish'in spot", but i'm kinda in the same boat as most. i check email once or twice a day, and have little hope of ever being in the "right place at the right time" when it comes to getting in on the esoterica baccy's. no worries, since i have an 8 oz plug of good old red VA in my press at any given time. all set, but hey, you guys, thanks for the ribbings! :laughat: :D

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I have never paid less than $65 for an 8 oz bag of Penzance or Stonehaven.
I have 1 bag of Penzance and 1 2 oz tin.

I have 2 bags of Stonehaven.
I can't really afford to stock them at those prices. I am letting them get about 3 - 5 years on them and then having a pipegasm in my mancave, smoking bowl after bowl of each until they are gone.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Hiplains, I have heard about antler sales. I was watching a TV show based on the life of a rather polarizing female political figure from Alaska and her father is a retired school teacher up there who spent 40+ years collecting antlers in a huge pile in his front yard. If I remember correctly, he was offered $100k or some crazy amount for that pile.
Morels are really good. I really love Chanterelles too.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I have never paid less than $65 for an 8 oz bag of Penzance or Stonehaven.
Last two bags of Penzance and Stonehaven I purchased was $36.95 and I might possibly pay, if I was really desperate, which is highly unlikely as I've never in my life been in that much of a need for any particular blend for 8 oz. would be $40.00. But, hey... it's your money and not mine. :wink:

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
To be fair, Dunhill bulk and other 'premier' blends in WA sell for $9.85/ oz.
It is much easier to pay $65/bag when that is your local B&M price.

Status
Not open for further replies.