PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
One can't describe Pembroke without describing Margate, since they are the same blend, but Pembroke includes a French cognac topping. The description for Margate is
A classical English mixture done in the "old style" of many of the fine tobaccos that have now disappeared from the market place. Choice Orientals and generous quantities of premium Cyprian Latakia keynote this rich, full bodied blend. A well balanced, robust and eminently satisfying smoke.
If you like English blends, you'll find that Margate is a fantastic blend. It's full and rich yet refined and smooth. The tin has a fantastic Latakia/Oriental note to it. At the match, the Orientals and the Latakia dance back and forth through out the bowl, one never dominating the other for too long. It gets richer as you smoke it down, never turning sour. I believe, like many blending houses, Esoterica has an "Esoterica" topping. It's fairly consistent slightly familiar taste from blend to blend and Margate has it and its great. Esoterica blends are often praised but Margate is is simply a marvel and a true example of the blenders art reaching the highest levels. Highly recommended.
The typical description for Pembroke says
"A luxury English blend (Margate) is married with fine French Cognac. This outstanding mixture is a "match made in heaven." Rich taste with character to match. A symphony of delicate aromas and elegant flavors"
Rarely does the marketing verbiage match so well with the actual blend they are describing. I am normally not a fan of liquor topped blends but Mike Butera and Germaine hit the ball out of the park with Pembroke. I am guessing but I believe the cognac used is made specifically for this blend because it works so well. Pembroke retains all of Margate's excellent qualities while adding a new level of flavor and refinement. The tin note definitely has a slight cognac hint to it. At the match, its similar to Margate but is even smoother and to me, an even better smoke. I don't taste the cognac however it adds a velvety quality to the bowl that remains through out. Tonight I am lucky enough to be smoking a 5 year old aged batch of Pembroke and it has aged very very well. Very highly recommended both fresh and aged.
While Penzance tends to get more press, Margate and Pembroke are both worthy of your collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.