PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
Is it really a premium tobacco? Yes. Is it worth $50.00 a bag? Probably, but not to me.
I am somewhat confused by this tobacco. Mostly because at first glance this appears to be the same English blend as any other normally priced tobacco. But the act of smoking it tells an enirely different tale.
I am a little confounded by the smoking it. This stuff smokes and burns so well that it makes no sense. I have smoked a lot of different blends but none are able to achieve the burning characteristics of this tobacco, and I can't help but ask why can't the other blends achieve this?
It's a great smoke for breaking in a pipe because it smokes right down to the bottom of the bowl with little effort from the smoker. Literally no tongue bite, very few re-lights, and while even getting down to the Dottle, the tobacco continues to keep its character in tact. A few times near the end of the bowl it struggled a bit to stay lit. But did I need to relight it? Heck no. All I had to do was place my fingers over the top of the bowl and give it a few quick puffs. Trying to do this with my other tobaccos would normally give me severe tongue bite, taste too harsh or change the flavor. Not this stuff, it's a real trooper. And an honest one.
Tin note: nearly smells like just any other English blend.

Room note: nearly smells like any other English blend.

Taste: nearly like any other English blend but is light with the orientalis, which I appreciate.

Cut: a fine ribbon cut.
The best way to describe this tobacco is like describing the difference between a cheap fat ground hamburger vs an expensive lean hamburger. But in this case, the lean hamburger would cost five times as much as the cheap fatty hamburger. Of course some would argue the fatty hamburger has more flavor.
I'll say this is probably the best tobacco I've ever smoked purely based on its burning characteristics.
I acquired this bag of tobacco as a free promotion for purchasing a Big Ben pipe. I can imagine stone haven and penzance would be incredible but I'm not sure I'll be willing to pay for them any time soon.
4 out of five stars. Would be a five if not for the high price.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Good price/performance analysis. "Is this thing really worth the price for which I could get 5 tins of Dunhill Standard Mixture?"

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Margate is closer to shag cut than it is to ribbon. This contributes to it's ease of packing and burning. Germain's, who makes the Esoterica line, uses this cut in many of their blends not all of which are highly sought after. Both of the Gawith's use it too (and so do many other blenders), give Dark Bird's Eye a shot if you want something that burns as well or better but with a darker and stronger flavor without lat.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
5 tins of Dunhill = 250 grams
8 oz bag of Margate = 227 grams
Not so different. And you can find Margate for $25/bag if you look carefully. Most places sell it for around $36. Do these figures change the formula?

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
I've never had any Esoterica, but I know its hard to acquire since it's sought after. Just thought of a topic!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Is it a standard that "a bag" of tobacco equals 8 oz.? I've seen "bag" used in several different contexts, so it'd be good to see some clarity on this.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Margate is probably my favorite of the Esotericas, and I've had all of the white whales from them. It's a nice medium english, and am almost half way through the two pounds of it that I bought from The Briary recently. Really good stuff!

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Is it a standard that "a bag" of tobacco equals 8 oz.? I've seen "bag" used in several different contexts, so it'd be good to see some clarity on this.
Yep, the Esoterica "bags" are standard 8 oz.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I have Penzance and Pembroke. Sounds like I need to hunt down and capture some Margate now.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
5 tins of Dunhill = 250 grams
8 oz bag of Margate = 227 grams
I've never seen this one for $25/bag, but the above does put it in context. I'll have to hunt some down and see how it compares. In my world, it's hard to beat the Standard and London mixtures, but I like them in part because they are a bit ragged, like a very civilized tea-drinking nation that sometimes just ups and conquers half the world.

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
+1 chasingembers. The availability is such that people shouldn't be paying $50 a bag. In fact, I wonder how well-known Esotericas are outside of the pipe forums. I was talking to some guys at a local brick & mortar (which typically has Margate sitting on the shelves) and they were oblivious to the hype and demand of the stuff.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
It's not that hard to find the lesser sought after estorica's for 25-30$ per 8 ounces. Only problem is the place that always gets it doesn't ship international.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Hey chasingembers how do you like And So to Bed?
That was the first Esoterica that I ever smoked. It has a fruity floral tin note, and the smoke has a wine/port, fermented fruitiness. I like it very much, and have a pound of that one in my cellar. To my palate, very similar to HH Latakia Flake and Pasha's Dream.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
No problem! Requires a bit of drying time, but an excellent smoke nevertheless.

moses

Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
I actually just pulled the trigger on some Margate, pretty excited about it. The few JF Germain-made blends I've tried I've very much enjoyed. So far it's just Penzance, Smokers Haven Exotique, and Smokers Haven 20th Anniversary. They kind of remind me of a rocky coast. A sort of almost briny leitmotif unifying otherwise disparate smokes. More than happy to add Margate to that short list. :D

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
Right on Moses! I will admit shamefully that I ordered another nose warmer Big Ben pipe to take advantage of this deal that will include another bag. My reasoning was that I intend to use these small pipes (2 of them.) at family meetings, public events etc. will make me feel a bit better than smoking a huge pipe while doing so. And will be dedicated to aromatics. The esoterica blends will be reserved for my man cave :)

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I've never paid more than $36.00 for an 8oz bag of Penzance or Stonhaven and less for ASTB, Margate, Pembroke and Woodbridge.

I enjoy them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.