PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Holy Sh..t! They charge $13 for One oz and don’t sell the proper bags. That’s disgusting.

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
Thanks...Many 1oz samples. The 8oz Margate is $56.99...Mars is $30.25 (when in stock). Passing

at King. A number of Sites are playing the Pappy Van Winkle price game.

greenmtnsmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2018
They had 8oz of Peacehaven too. Went quick. I paid $62.98 with shipping for 8oz of Stonehaven. Kind of high but it will last a long time.

morgansteele

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2018
And for those scratching their heads, as I was, about what King was, it's: King Smoking Pipes and Cigars in Forest Lake, MN. And, before folks rail off at the retailer about the high prices, please know that there's a 95% tax on pipe tobacco in Minnesota. That's right, 95%.

cohibajoe

Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
And for those scratching their heads, as I was, about what King was, it's: King Smoking Pipes and Cigars in Forest Lake, MN. And, before folks rail off at the retailer about the high prices, please know that there's a 95% tax on pipe tobacco in Minnesota. That's right, 95%.

Wow...Florida is another High Tax state at 85%.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Yep it's taxed at the wholesale level just the same as cigarettes. That's why so many people cross the border to neighboring states or go to one of the reservations. Last year Minnesota had the 7th highest wholesale tax on tobacco in the U.S.

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
Last year Minnesota had the 7th highest wholesale tax on tobacco in the U.S.
Wow, I guess next time I go to the north country to visit family I won't be looking for any B&M's as I had previously hoped. Thanks for the heads up.

My local B&M hides the good stuff for luck loyal customers (like me), and typically doesn't sell to people calling from out of state. They are against the second hand scalpers buying up all of the supply. They had my bag of Stonehaven last week and I am happy.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Last year Minnesota had the 7th highest wholesale tax on tobacco in the U.S.

Our tobacco tax here in MN is 95% of the wholesale price. I want to support my local shop but that's tough to swallow.

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
Picked up a tin of Pembroke at country squire. Hope it's better stone haven or penzance. I wasn't very happy with those.

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
King Smoking Pipes still has esoterica almost 24 hours later. Kind of proves my theory that higher price meeting the market price and format unsuitable for resale solves the shortage issue. I did get a couple of tobaccos to try.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Kind of proves my theory that higher price meeting the market price and format unsuitable for resale solves the shortage issue.
Not really. The "shortage" is only perceived through what seems like a quickly exhaustible online supply. Call B&Ms and you'll find substantially more at a fraction of the price. $12+/ounce seems a bit steep for me if they are emptying the original tins and bags to sell it by the ounce. Could easily dry out in transit and you still have to jar the remaining portion. Sounds like paying a premium for disappointment.

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
It is steep and there is no chance of it being put on ebay, which means everyone is happy. If you have local BM that has it, go for it. For those that only have online as their source I am happy to be able to sample and decide for myself if the hype was worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.