PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
I have a tin of this one the way. It seems to be becoming more popular and I've just started to really appreciate Va/Pers, although I'm finding that I like them really strong in Perique. How does this compare to other Va/Pers for those who have tried it? Is it worth the hype?

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
Being a Germain's product it's top quality stuff, fairly mild with lots of bright VA's and hay/grass notes, but it's actually pretty light on Perique. I'd compare it to Orlik Golden Sliced.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I have a tin of Dunbar in my cellar, but have yet to try it. I've only heard good things about it though.
Dunbar has been popular for a while; however, its over shadowed by the excessive popularity of Penzance and Stonehaven. All JF Germain & Sons and Esoterica blends are very popular and usually hard to come by. Enjoy.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Take your unopened tin and throw it in the wastebin straight away. It's almost as good as anni cake, escudo or St James Flake. Keep saying it over and over again, happy in the knowledge that what is at hand will bring you more happiness than what will never be. It's the same principle as how many G&T's does it take for your significant other to become megan fox or the male equivalent.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I am a big fan of this tobacco! To me, it has a kind of funky, barnyard-esk aroma. The smoke is full bodied, slightly sweet with a lot of complexity for a VaPer.
As for something like it, I haven't found anything. This one, in my opinion, is something very different in the VaPer category.

eddiegrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2009
It's my favorite VaPer. I always age it in the cellar for 3-5 years (if I can hold off that long). When you pop the tin, it emerges from a well-stained wrapper and the taste is glorious.

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
My favorite VaPer as well. When the wrapper is nice and stained with age and it's musty smelling, you know you're in for a treat!

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
in the same vain esoterica but not dunbar - dorchester - just as great.
now the issue - received an open tin dorchester about 10+ years a bit dry but weak in the dorchester flavour but still there .

removed the paper with the tobacco in it to see the inside bottom - totally rusted - i guess the tin was opened or compromised some time during the 10+ years.

reconstituting with those metal water disks - does that ever bring back flavor or does it just remoisten the tobacco?
will smoke it but not sure if its worth moistening if it kills some flavor rather than improve flavor.
smoked some well sealed 10+ years dorchester - killer good!
thanks

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
Do you have a humidor? I'd put it in there for a week, in something other than the rusted tin, and let it rehydrate slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.