PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

balindamood

Lurker
Oct 1, 2018
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I recently came upon a reasonably aged (2015-16) tin of Esoterica's ...and so to bed. I am dumfounded by the sweetness of what I presume is a non-flavored tobacco. I am wondering where it is coming from, and what other blends (that are more readily available) that are similar.

Last edited by a moderator:

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
It doesn't help you any, but some of the other Esoterica blends have similar sweetness. So did some of the McClelland Grand Orientals, especially Drama Reserve, IIRC.
For an ever so marginally more available (in 2019) blend of a similar vein I recommend Rattray's Red Rapparee.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Ale is the flavoring in that one. Mac Baren's Plumcake and Solent Mixture are similar.

Oct 7, 2016
Ale is supposedly used to “carry the flavorings” in ASTB, according to one statement on the web that keeps getting repeated, as it was in one of the old Smokers Haven Germain made blends, per the same source. I find no similarities at all between ASTB and MacBaren Plumcake.i smoke both semi-regularly. I haven’t had Solent in many years, but never noticed any particular resemblance. I haven’t found anything directly comparable to ASTB despite trying to find something, unless it is the Smokers Haven blend which I can’t remember the name of. If there is any identifiable taste of ale left after processing, it has escaped my taste buds. It usually shows up in every drop and isn’t all that hard to find.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
geezer, you may be thinking of SH 20th Anniversary Mixture. Very similar to ASTB. Cognac Mixture falls somewhere in there as well.

Oct 7, 2016
oldtoby, 20th Anniversary might be what I was trying to remember. I am truly old and memories fade. I do think Cognac is distinctly different from ASTB based on consumption of both from current production. Though 20th has been available lately from Premal, I haven't tried it. ¿

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
In a 1998 article about J.F. Germain in Pipes and Tobacco Magazine, And So To Bed is described as "A selection of Virginia and Maryland tobaccos with top grade Latakia and Oriental leaf with some added flavor."

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Some more info here,
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/esoterica-tobacciana-a-history
:)

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Newminster No. 306 English Oriental when fresh reminds me very much of ASTB.
I recently got to try a sample of 306 and swore it had to have been produced by Germain's! Seemed somewhere inbetween ASTB, St Ives, and Royal Jersey. I'm glad I found someone that picks up on the same thing! I haven't tried recent batches but if you say it tastes similar fresh then I'm now on the hunt for a pound!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I recently got to try a sample of 306 and swore it had to have been produced by Germain's! Seemed somewhere inbetween ASTB, St Ives, and Royal Jersey. I'm glad I found someone that picks up on the same thing! I haven't tried recent batches but if you say it tastes similar fresh then I'm now on the hunt for a pound!
Also produced by Mac Baren you may enjoy their HH Latakia Flake.

Reactions: rushx9
Status
Not open for further replies.