PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
I was going to buy 8oz of Pembroke but wife said no after she saw the price and knows that I have over 10lbs of tobacco at the house. When the 2oz tins start showing up regularly I'll get a tin then.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I think that we start seeing it show up more frequently, until they can keep it in stock regularly. Little birdie told me.
In the five years I've been on the forums Esoterica blends have been harder to find than a decent show on television. I would be shocked if they start being in stock on a regular basis.

Maybe so, but when has it been so often/frequent that they've been released, shorter times between releases? The Briary said that pretty soon they will be getting in a buttload of Esotericas. They all used to be sleeper on the shelf, up until a few years ago. Someone had posted that production slowed when they moved locations, or something along those lines. It hasn't been terribly long ago.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'd be more interested in kingfisher and pelican at this point.
Pelican shows up from time to time. Kingfisher may have gone the way of the dodo. But if you want it badly enough, here's an eBay auction:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111806333153?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I'm always interested in what lengths people are willing to go to claim that scrap of tobacco.

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
I was at a local cigar and liquor B&M looking at tins. The gental man brought out a golden bag and showed it to me. I was hoping it was Esoterica but ended up being some Peter Stokkebye 47 Dansk Black half a pound. I asked how much, and he said 12 dollars. I asked if he had any more bags and he pulled out a bag of 48 Golden Dansk. I bought a bag of both blends. It may not be Esoterica and it maybe an aro but it sounds tasty.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Maybe so, but when has it been so often/frequent that they've been released, shorter times between releases? The Briary said that pretty soon they will be getting in a buttload of Esotericas. They all used to be sleeper on the shelf, up until a few years ago. Someone had posted that production slowed when they moved locations, or something along those lines. It hasn't been terribly long ago.
I hope the Briary is ready to be bombarded with phone calls for the Esoterica blends.
They've been in pretty high demand for about five years now.
Production has always been slow as far as I can tell. Everyone always mentions they're a small company that doesn't want to increase supply to reach demand and have the blends not be as good as they are now.

Production has always been slow as far as I can tell.

Nope, there was a time about ten years or so, that the B&M's had tins of this with dust on them. were always good, well thought of, but sales didn't go bonkers until they stopped releasing them but every four months or so. I think the Germain's company moved or switched blenders, something along those lines. Then being "rare" is when sales went nutso for them.

I think that making release more frequent will help slowly kill the secondary market for these blends. No one will want to pay $100 for something that can be found more frequently or is always in stock.
And, I am sure that Skipp is busy at The Briary, because he just sent me an email. Ha ha.
But, yes, I predict that they will soon be more easily found and it will kill all of these hopes and dreams that the hoarders have about getting rich off of re-saleing these blends. But, I also predicted that the Yugo was going to storm the American car market. :puffy:

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Personally I don't think releasing batches more frequently will help keep it in stock any more frequently than it is now. The only difference will be now you'll have a 30min window from the SmokingPipes email notice instead of 15 minutes before it's sold out.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I can't buy from COJ's as I live in New York, 53% state tobacco tax is added to NY purchases. Anyway, also have plenty of Margate, Pembroke, and ASTB.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
LordPipe, I agree. Even if the were to somehow double or even triple their output, which highly unlikely, the market will happily absorb them and nothing changes. They'd need to increase production 5x at least and hold it there for a year and I can't imagine such a tiny operation working with a finite resource could to so.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
I wonder if an increase in production would lead to the market adjusting to a new price equilibrium.

Status
Not open for further replies.