PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I've been smoking DNR for most of a year, as I opened the last of 10 tins I had bought I decided to save a bunch of money and try Escudo this time. Ik there's controversy but the general concensus seems to be they are pretty close if not the same.
Idk what others are tasting, but to me they are distinctly different, not even close. I find the Escudo much less peppery, much less harsh, and with more of a citrusy tangy taste. I'm actually liking Escudo better, and I liked DNR fine.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
I've done a side by side comparison a couple of times. I couldn't tell much difference at all, neither could the most of guys in our club. We did notice a clear difference in colour even in six months of age difference, though.
However, and all this said, if I could tell a clear difference I'd certainly smoke the one I liked better.
Here's Kevin's write up from a few years back: http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/kevins-blog/dunhill-escudo-navy-de-luxe-the-verdict/

Dec 24, 2012
I find the Escudo much less peppery, much less harsh, and with more of a citrusy tangy taste. I'm actually liking Escudo better, and I liked DNR fine.
Oh, no! Not this old chestnut again. What is particularly humorous is that many who claim there is a difference between the two blends say precisely the opposite - i.e. that Escudo is more peppery and less sweet than DNR. Hmmmm.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I find Dunhill Navy a little more peppery right when you open the tin, and then it fades, but my tins of Escudo have more age on them than my DNR, and probably accounts for that. I buy whichever of the two I can get for cheaper.

I keep going back to Kevin's write up and from others in the biz that it's the exact same recipe from the exact same factory. Honestly, I've only had the Dunhill version once, not side by side, but it didn't stand out as being any different. The only obvious difference that I have found is the price. For five dollars more, it'd have to wow me.

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
I enjoy both...just to add a little flame to the fire...I had Solani 633 last night and it was amazing!!! A fantastic Vaper that I put right up against either Escudo or Dunhill DNR...not saying one is better than another...but wow that Solani was fantastic!!!

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
I only smoked DNR once and it wasn't a proper side-by-side comparison, but I didn't taste a significant difference. If anything, the DNR seemed less peppery, but it was a slight difference. While I'm not especially price-sensitive when it comes to pipe tobacco, I didn't see anything special about DNR that made it worth several extra dollars per tin compared to Escudo. And Escudo isn't really cheap in the first place.
I also agree that Solani 633 is a great smoke and deserves more love around here. It's been a little while since I smoked it, but I recall it being lighter in flavor than Escudo/DNR, but very smooth and well-behaved. Also not cheap but quite good, like all the Solanis I've tried.

schaum

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2014
Ford or Chevy? Pepsi or Coke? Liverwurst or Braunschweiger?
I did the side by side a couple months ago in twin pipes and preferred Escudo. The debate continues.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Well, okay. I'm moving DNR off my Wish List and will continue to smoke Escudo. Even those who claim the two are different, aren't claiming substantial distinctions between the two.
Didn't really save any cash because now I've added Solani 633 to the shopping list.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Fascinating pipe lore. Maybe the DNR has the "Dunhill magic" added by a fairy who sprinkles pixie dust on the rounds.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
The thing about both Dunhill and Escudo is, when did you try it last? People who smoked it 30 years ago were smoking different blends than today.
I have smoked 3 iterations of Escudo...all different....but all good.
DNR is better now than it was 20 years ago in my opinion.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I haven't tried DNR. I did try Escudo, and promptly went back to Doblone d'Oro for my "sweet" Va/Per needs.
If someone made a version of this tobacco with some stout Burley, it would be top-notch. Doubly so if they used the Empire Virginias used in Royal Yacht and GH blends.

dsollars

Lurker
Mar 25, 2014
Haven't tried DNR, but ... I find I like a new tin of Escudo. I really like a recently opened two year old tin of Escudo. I really, really, really like a two year old ton of Escudo after it has relaxed in a mason jar for a few weeks. Darker, richer, more mellow. I wonder how many of the direct comparisons control for age and storage. Over the last two years I have included tins of Escudo in every order I have placed, even while buying lots of other blends to try.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Idk what others are tasting, but to me they are distinctly different, not even close... I'm actually liking Escudo better, and I liked DNR fine
Agreed. I don't think they are "the same" either. Also, I prefer Escudo.
I keep both in stock and smoke both regularly, but I don't think they are interchangable. Not as different as Jackknife plug and EMP ... but different. Very similar flavor profiles but with definitely noticable differences even to a relative newbie like me.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I agree with Tinsel. I did side by side comparisons several times in the early 2000s, when they were made by different companies than today. I did the same last year. As Tinsel said, "Very similar flavor profiles but with definitely notic[e]able differences..." I have always preferred the Navy Rolls, but Escudo sure is worth smoking, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.