PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I've recently been on a Va, Va/Per coin/flake sampling binge, and these two have even among my favorites so far. I know a lot of guys feel that these are one and the same blend, but I find them to be slightly different.

I've now smoked at least half a tin of each and love them both, but I give the Dunhill DNR a slight (albeit very slight) edge over Escudo. I find DNR has a little more of the stewed fruit taste of the Perique, whereas Escudo has more of the hay like tones of the Virginias.

Am I just crazy, or is there some validity to my assessment?
Either way, they are both awesome blends!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
petes03:
You might be interested in Kevin's side-by-side comparison of these two blends, if you haven't already found this:
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-tobacco-reviews/dunhill-escudo-navy-de-luxe-the-same/

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/kevins-blog/dunhill-escudo-navy-de-luxe-the-verdict/
Bob

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
I think it is too close to call. To me it seems like they are the same blend. I can't really tell any difference between them, and Escudo is about $2 cheaper a tin. If they ARE different in some way, I don't think there is enough of a difference to justify the difference in price. So for me it's Escudo all the way.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Thanks for the replies guys!

Kevin, I'm gettin ready to head to work and haven't had time to read those reviews. Hopefully I'll have some down time at work tonight and I'll get to read them then!

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
I enjoy and have cellared many at a two for one leaning towards Escudo. Most of the time its all about the sales that have taken place. I've smoked both with five years on them and have no plans to open cellared tins for a few years. If you peal off the VA on the aged you'll find them about the same. When smoked whole the DNR is a little sweeter and that works out great. Sometimes you want a little more pepper and sometimes a little sweet. Age though is very important, as with all VA.
Craig

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Well Kevin, I read the reviews and in some ways I do agree. But my taste buds still say that they are slightly different. Both of my tins are about the same age, and having been opened about a week apart from each other, should be approximately the same. Both tins were opened and put straight into fresh jars right away. I've smoked them in the same group of pipes, with each pipe having at least a day of rest between smokes. I've used the same fold n' stuff method each time, as well as always lighting with matches.

After all of this, my conclusion is still that DNR is slightly sweeter than Escudo. It's a very slight difference, but detectable.

Regardless, both of these have found a permanent spot in both my rotation and cellar!
Here's another question, are Comoy's Cask No. 7, PS Luxury Bullseye Flake, and Davidoff Flake Medallions all the same?

So far I've only had the Comoy's Cask No. 7, but I have some PS LBF on the way to compare.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
They may come from the same plant, but there is a difference, and I can taste it, too. Rather than type the differences (because I'm lazy), I'll cut and paste my review of the Navy Rolls from TR.com:
I spent a few days comparing the new version of this to the Murray's, in addition to comparing both with old and new Escudo, and the following is my opinion on the differences. The Murray's version is better than the current version. It was richer and fuller in taste with a natural dark Virginia sweetness and earthy notes that wonderfully complimented the plum and peppery perique. It was a darn near perfect blend.
The new version is still very good, but less sweeter than before (though still more so than Escudo), a little less richer in taste, and maybe slightly less peppery than the Murray's version. And there are hay/grass notes in the current rendition that were barely present before, though I still get some of the fig accents. It looks and tastes more like Escudo than the Murray's did, too. Many say - and some have gone to great lengths to prove - that the new Navy Rolls and Escudo are one and same, as both are apparently produced in the same factory. They are more similar than they had been in past times, and the basic tobaccos used may well be similar or the same, but there is a taste difference. Navy Rolls is a little sweeter, still a little earthier, still slightly stronger, even with the now lightly noticeable hay/grass flavor that is more prominent in the drier tasting Escudo. Maybe there is something in the Virginias used in Navy Rolls that provides the difference, or perhaps it's a light casing of some kind that isn't obvious to the touch or tongue, but it's not exactly like the current Escudo in my estimation.
It's still a four star mixture, though not as good as before. It may cost a little more than Escudo, but I think it's worth the difference. Some may disagree with me, and perhaps they'll notice or ignore some of the flavors I get from the new Navy Rolls. It's all a judgement call. The important thing for the current smoker to know is whether or not he/she likes it, and is willing to buy it. For myself, I know the answer is "yes."

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
In deference to a few true pipe sages posting on this thread, my personal and very humble opinion is they are the same blend, created as they are from the same tobaccos on the same equipment in the same factory. Differences in flavor may come down to age of the particular tin, processing of the finished product, aging or factory pre-aging of the finished product, or even one's taste and preconceptions on a given day. But I'm completely open to the fact that I may very well be wrong here. That's just my opinion. And there are some other pipe sages that share it. The important thing is what tastes good to you at this or any future moment.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I've directly compared fresh to aged. I've directly compared fresh Navy Rolls to fresh Escudo. I still say there's a difference, even when both are fresh. But everyone's mileage varies when it comes to tobacco.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Jim, although I've only compared fresh to fresh, I completely agree with your evaluations! I can see where the argument could be made that they are the same, but to my taste they are different.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
My experiences have been that they are different. I prefer DNR because it is sweeter to my tastes. Not sure why but it is.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Here's another question, are Comoy's Cask No. 7, PS Luxury Bullseye Flake, and Davidoff Flake Medallions all the same?

I was just reading about how according to the Orlik plant manager LBF is just Davidoff flake in bulk, don't know about the comoy's though.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
@andrew. Thanks for the info! I suspected as much, even though I've yet to try those two. I've been smoking Comoy's Cask No. 7 and really enjoy it so far. I've got some LBF on the way, and to be honest, I can't remember if I included any of the Davidoff in my order or not! Lol!

My wife wanted to order me some tobacco for valentine's day, so I told her I wanted to add some stuff to the cart before she picked out what she wanted to get for me.

I know I got some PS Luxury Twist Flake and some LBF, and another tin of Dunhill DNR, but I honestly can't remember what else I picked!

I gave my wife a list of some stuff I wanted, and told her if she wanted to she could pick some stuff out too. I guess I'll have to wait and see!

Status
Not open for further replies.