PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
After Pecks thread on some well aged Escudo the other day I got to thinking. I am about a bowl away from finishing off some Dunhil Navy Rolls, so it's time for another VaPer to be opened. I reached into the Escudo stack and found a few that are right at a year old. I am only used to this tobacco fresh so I thought it was a good starting point. It's fairly amazing how much just one year settles the perique spice down. The tin aroma is coming around some, and the tobacco has definitely darkened some. I will say the tin aroma hasn't transformed as much as the actual flavors have. Definitely looking forward to seeing the transformations continue as I work through the stack. I look forward to seeing the changes in order to get the full spectrum.

B

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Aging is an amazing thing, a very attractive prospect to me when I first began a year ago. I popped open a tin of Nightcap I hadn't touched in 10 months and while I didn't exactly enjoy it a ton better I did notice some slight changes to the taste, especially halfway through. I can't wait to experience the age of my Escudo tins down the road.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Aged tobacco is a wonderful thing. Some blends do change a bit after as little as one year while others take 3-5 to notice a big difference. Escudo is one that you can notice a difference after just one year as you stated the perique does tone down a bit after just one. Just wait till you smoke a 10 year old tin of Escudo, that is sublime.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
I look forward to it Harris, but that report back will be another 9 years, lol. It will be a neat journey to see through though. The other bright side is while digging back to the escudo I foumd several tins I had forgotten about.

B

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
is transferring into a jar the same as aging in a tin ? the act of transferring to a jar does present new oxygen.

should i expect the same result in the jar as you describe from your aged tin ?

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
Tobacco will age in a jar, but anytime new air is introduced it stalls the process. For instance, if you age tobacco in the tin for a year, open to sample, jar it, wait a year, and crack it to smoke a sample. You then have tobacco aged 1 year still. I have a lot of tobacco aging in jars. Though I prefer tins as it is just easier.

B

Status
Not open for further replies.