PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Spending the afternoon with my tobacco notebook and catching up on writing reviews. This is posted (apparently twice; once with pictures and once without...formatting gods, HALP!) at luxury tobacco reviews here. Let me know what y'all think, there are a few more in the works.
Brand: A&C Peterson / Peter Stokkebye (by Scandinavian Tobacco Group)

Blend: Escudo Navy Deluxe 

Blender: STG

Type: VaPer

Cut: Coins – Navy twist

Cure: Air cured

Tobaccos: Virginia, Perique

Strength: Medium-Strong

Room Note: Medium

Tin Size: 50g

Tin Age: 5 years / 6 months

Tin Description: A combination of full bodied Virginia from North Carolina and Virginia blended with Perique from Louisiana are the cornerstones in Escudo. The blend is pressed and matured before it is spun and cut into coins. This process ensures the unique character of “Escudo”.
If you smoke a pipe then you will eventually smoke Escudo, and most likely you will find that it will become part of your regular rotation. This tobacco has a long and storied history, yet it speaks volumes that the name and quality seem to have survived all incarnations. Originally produced by Cope Brothers Tobacco of Liverpool, it, like many other classics, has changed hands many times. It is currently produced by STG for Villiger Stokkebye; this review is from a 5 year old tin of the A&C Peterson incarnation as well as 2010 tins from Stokkebye.

old%252520v%252520new%252520tins.png

Tin: From The Beloved Tobacco Maven’s website:

“In colonial days, sailors twisted tobacco into a roll and tied it tightly, often moistening the leaves with rum, molasses, or spice solutions. As the tobacco dried and contracted, the flavors melded. To smoke the concoction, they cut a slice of "twist" or "curly" and stuffed a pipe, hence the terms "sliced twist" and "curly cut." In time, all twisted tobacco, and later pressed tobacco, became known as "navy," because it was convenient for sailors and outdoorsmen, due to its compact size and long-lasting, slow-burning qualities.”​

Escudo is a Navy twist, cut into coins of just under 1/16” thickness. The fine-spun tobaccos are a perfect brindle of dark tobaccos streaked with lighter ribbons. Newer coins are much lighter overall than the older coins, a pleasing visual indication of aging. The aroma of the newer tin is bright, with yellow and orange leaf dominating their notes of hay, white raisin, and a slight salt-fig scent; while the older tin is much deeper and redolent of chocolate, Medjool dates, the ferment of leather, and tawny port wine.

old%252520v%252520new%252520coins.png

old%252520coin.png

new%252520coin.png

Char: It is to be noted that either rubbing out the coins or curling them and stuffing can change the flavor profile. Rubbed out, the smoke is a bit steadier and of a more consistent rhythm of flavors; while curling and stuffing yields a bit more of the nuance of gradually shifting mouthfuls of light and dark notes. The charring light releases a rich bundle of energy from the Virginia, followed by a nice peppery retort from the Perique.
Top: Preferring the profile of the rolled and stuffed packing method, the classic VaPer taste really shines. Top notes are bright but never too sharp—tangerine, ginger, white grape and fresh leather, with just the right cracked-pepper highlight are at the same time developing a creamy fullness thanks to the background notes. The newer blend is crisp, sharp, and nicely acrid; the older blend’s brightness quickly settles down to a creamy nougat.
Mid: Once well underway, the bowl really grabs you. Flavors become stronger, more distinct, richer in every way. The 5-year displays a dark sweetness—rich root beer or sarsaparilla, stout ale, hints of chestnut and fig. The younger tin places ginger, heather & hay, tangerine, bergamot, even the occasional wisp of white chocolate before you. Both hold these top notes in a thick, creamy base of rich, sweet, leathery tobacco, producing a nice volume of smoke along the way. The nicotine content also becomes readily apparent at mid-bowl, remaining steady through the end.
Finish: The end of the bowl is the only drawback of Escudo; for certainly if it is to your taste at all and you smoke past the charring light then you will wish it never to end. It smokes cool and bite-free even with repeated bowls, though the nicotine and richness can be too much for an all-day smoke. Throughout the bowl the recurring theme is creaminess, and the finish on the palate leaves you very much appreciating this full-bodied smoke. It will coat your tongue with its treacle, so is best paired with an equally strong beverage—a strong black tea or espresso, tawny or ruby port, or a no-nonsense ale.
Room Note: A rich, slightly acrid smoke will mark the room with hints of chestnut, burnt popcorn, and raisin. On the mild side, though non-smokers may disagree.
Overall: The reason for this blend’s longevity should become apparent after the first sampling. It is no wonder that it remains one of the most-cellared and best-selling tobaccos after more than a century; it should be considered the baseline from which to judge VaPer blends. There was a remarkable richness gained by age in the older tin, which holds true to the Virginia milestone of 4 to 5 years. The balance of the blend is its hallmark, and it is impeccable. Elegant in its simplicity, Escudo delivers a classic smoking experience whatever its age. It excels in straight pipes, particularly tall billiards and clays, though it is not averse to any chamber you may burn it in.
RATING: 4.95

A rich, full bodied VaPer, considered by many to be the standard of this style.

Ages perfectly, demands a good pairing but is not inflexible, and delivers a fullness of flavor that puts it in a class apart.
ESSENTIAL.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
hehehe, you and cyndi are gonna love it. I highly recommend it with port, it really accentuates the flavors tremendously--try a sandeman's vintage port (the 45-year-old is only $1500!! the reserve 2007 that im drinking is ~55$).

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
We will have to do with the bottle of 2006 Chambourcin we got last week.
http://www.habershamwinery.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=57&Itemid=62
$22! OH YEAH!

stacen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2011
Great review, cheers mate. I am also a big escudo fan. I find reading a good review of a tobacco I like helps me enjoy it more. It sort of lets me focus more clearly on what I am experiencing. Keep em coming!

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Super review, possibly the best I've ever seen. The photos make it even more interesting. THANKS for the fine work. And like you stated, I also believe that this is THE STANDARD To which all other VaPers are compared.

Doc

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
it is a very evil blend that will put hooks in your soul from the 1st puff. you will never be content afterwards unless you have several tins awaiting the kiss of a flame....
to keep the warden from putting me on death row from buying to many tins of it, i mix it up with bullseye flake...

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I liked the historical background you provided about previous manufacturers; it gives some perspective to the uninitiated, and provides a context for the review. Nice inclusion. It was also nice that you took a moment to discuss the origins of the term "navy" to help new smokers sort out the profusion genres and terms.

I especially liked the technique of comparing new and aged samples of the same blend -- that's an approach that I haven't seen before. When I think about it, that's more valuable than comparing different blends because I would often like to know if aging a tin is worthwhile, whereas I would usually buy different blends regardless of any comparisons.

I think you've got a keen vocabulary for describing tobacco in epicurean terms, which is what I think most review readers find edifying. Of course, that wouldn't come at all without the ability to discern certain tastes and their nuances; so kudos there too. Very nicely done, and I appreciate the care and precision with which you constructed the article. It shows a good deal of respect for the reader -- something for which most web posts show an abysmal lack of concern.

Again, thanks for a top notch job; and BTW, I'm pretty familiar with "young" batches of Escudo, and I think your assessment is spot-on. :clap:

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
/takes a bow

thank ye thank ye :) :oops: I appreciate that y'all are getting something out of it! And please don't hold back on sending criticisms my way either--are they too short, too long, not mentioning all the right bullet points, etc. All feedback is appreciated!

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
A fine review of one of my top 5. I can still remember the first time I smoked Escudo many years ago and thinking it would not live up to it's hype...I smoked that first tin in 2 weeks and have had a proper stash of it ever since. Some of my most heady pipe smoking moments have come from this fine tobacco. I also whole heartedly agree with the port pairing. Something about the stewed/dried fruit notes in both Escudo and port wine that pairs very well.
@ cyndi: Chambourcin...I haven't heard that grape name used since I left Ohio. Where are you located? Chambourcin is a hybrid grape that leads me to believe that you live somewhere in the north eastern U.S. ? It is one of the more successfull hybrids and makes good reds. Reminds me of Cabernet Franc.

Status
Not open for further replies.