PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stormydog

Might Stick Around
Aug 30, 2018
I saw Smokingpipes.com had Escudo for 9.73 a tin and it was on my wanna try list so I got a tin. What can I expect?

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
Made me lightheaded. Might be because I'm a novice piper. It was my first shot at a Perique blend. I'm more of an Mild/Medium aromatic guy but I didn't dislike it. I have been told my taste will change with the more I smoke. I put it away and will give it another try down the road.

stormydog

Might Stick Around
Aug 30, 2018
I get that I just started smoking a pipe in August and Orlik Golden Slice did the same thing to me but now I love it.

stormydog

Might Stick Around
Aug 30, 2018
I'm looking forward to tasting the perique I've never had tobacco with a decent amount. This will be my 5th all-time blend

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
When I smoked a tin of Dunhill Navy Rolls, which I hear are almost identical to Escudo, as a newbie, I didn't care much for it. It was sour (perique) and bready (virginia), and I was looking for sweetness. I suppose I would like it more now, but with all the rave about aging, I'm saving my tins for later.

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
I sat down to a campfire with a tin of Escudo and a Bottle of Whiskey. I absolutely loved the escudo! so much I puffed though almost a whole tin that night.. We wont talk about the bottle. My tongue did not like me the next morning, but that was due to me puffing away enjoying the moment. Its a great smoke, but much like a snake, it will bite you if you poke it!
You wont be disappointed with it.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
First time I tried Escudo, it burned my face off... Extreme novice smoker looking to branch out from aromatics and lat/english blends.
Returned to it after 6 months in a jar and also learning how to smoke, it was unbelievable. Definitely my favorite va/per so far. Gotta smoke it slow though as I’m one of those unlucky ones that has trouble with Virginias. Thinking it’s a PH issue as it’s definitely a chemical type burn as opposed to hot smoke etc. however smoking it slow really helps.
Anyway, that’s a good deal and would definitely stock up if you like it.
P.S. Thanks for the reminder. Going to grab a tin or four for the cellar.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Next to Dark Flake my favorite. Always loved it and smoked it, the only tinned blend for which I would spend the money. DNR has a variable reputation but has always been pricy.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I have found it to be just good when it's young but it is excellent with some age. It is a bit of a finesse blend that could require a more discerning palate to appreciate.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Thanks, Cap'n. You just solved my "What next?" issue...
jay-roger.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
One of our forum members donated a tin of 15 year old Escudo to be shared and enjoyed at the pipe show in Vegas a week or so ago. It was delicious! Thanks, _______. I will let the donor decide if he wishes to remain anonymous or not.

stormydog

Might Stick Around
Aug 30, 2018
Smoked my first bowl today. Fantastic tin smell and a fantastic taste as well.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Escudo is one of my favorite blends. I recently opened a tin from 2008 and it is amazing. The discs are black now with the 10 years on them. The perique is much less peppery and more fig and raisin flavors. It gets much creamier with age as well.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Ah, Escudo, the benchmark of VaPer blends.
I got into it about 4 or 5 years ago. A friend suggested I try it and right out of the tin it's pretty good. Some bright hay/grassy notes and some citrusy fruit like flavors. The Perique is right about mid range, so if it's too much you can find blends a bit lighter or if you want more of that Periquey punch and spice you can try others that have a bit more of it.
With some age on it basically it mellows out and gets a bit sweeter.
I have about 30 tins in the cellar right now. Plan on cracking open a tin from 2014 on Christmas Day.

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
Although it does not have the latakia that I like, it is a top notch tobacco otherwise and it can be a bit bitey if not paying attention.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I have has Escudo everywhere from fresh to 20 years out. I like it best at 5 years out, but it's still great past that.
I can also tell you that PS Bullseye with 5 years is crazy good. From fresh to five it's great. Can't wait for a longer aging.
That's actually the best part of my cellar...I'm smoking a shit ton of OTCs while my Virginia's and VaPers come on like a great aged Bourbon or Scotch.

Status
Not open for further replies.