PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogglor

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2012
Finally got around to cracking a tin of this stuff last week and I now know why it's considered the King of VA/Pers. I haven't had a VAPer to date that's managed to deliver such rich and full flavor while simultaneously being so light bodied. I don't know whether its the amount of Perique, the quality of the VAs or what, but it manages to be sharp, tangy, and delicate all at the same time. Like a prima ballerina at the top of her game, so to speak. It has a delicious sourdough bread note mid bowl that is unrivaled. I thought Anniversary Kake was my favorite until I tried this. Time to buy a lot of tins...
I'm presently having a top 5 smoke of all time with Escudo, cube cut in my Savinelli Tevere.
Dios Mio! Hail to the King, baby.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
Good to hear. I should be getting my tin as of Monday. Can't wait to try it! Been hearing a lot of good things about it!
:P

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
I don't know whether its the amount of Perique, the quality of the VAs
Well the answer is of course both. They meet the perfect balance. I decided to start today off with two coins to pump me up for a great day. A thousand posts have been written about Escudo and I can’t imagine them stopping. It’s the definite welcome wagon to the world of Vapers.
Now AK is a different kind of Vaper. Almost an apples and oranges, we are talking about a different set of VA’s, loaded with a more complex variety and color of VA leaf. AK, FVF, SJF, MC 2015 and Escudo are my Vapors. BBF is my butter. I have over a dozen in my rotation, but these are my mains. One thing that ranks Escudo high on many people’s lists is the visual presentation. Opening that tin and seeing the care and beauty of those coins just starts the taste buds watering. The brain is kicked into gear, as it knows something special is coming its way. Even the hundredth bowl has us all lean back and enjoy it as much as we did the first time.
What better way to get a Sunday rolling, but a couple coins of Escudo and a black/cinnamon tea.
Craig

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I just finished my stash of 9 year old Escudo and have a dire need to restock my Escudo reserves. Escudo is another one of those tobaccos that performs completely different in all different situations but it is always so so good. Fell in love since my very first tin some many years ago.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Roth we are both on the "AK could be something special" boat. The happy accident could end up the perfect marriage. The Perigue can not only be different in preparation in the product but also the leaf itself. Now that it's produced at different farms, the procedure maybe the same but the leaf is going to be different. I'm pleased with both, and the way it interacts over time will be the key. I've only tried Escudo five years old, and really didn't see the change I'd hoped for. This didn't make it a lesser smoke, just not one that met my expectations. This may have to do with the VA reds reacting more over time. But I can't wait to crack that three year old jar of AK in two years and see what father time and chemistry has done. Just at three years visually you can see a dark change in the leaf, and hopefully the flavor.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth, I think Escudo ages differently than many Vaper or Va flakes in that the Perique gets milder inn the middle years almost like a Cuban cigar going into a sick period. My 2008 escudo while really nice has the perique in the background unlike my 2001 where the perique really shined and was much more in my face. I also noticed this with Solani 633, my 2002 stock has become a Perique bomb similar to how Three Nuns becomes after a decade or more. I do like how the creaminess in the Escudo develops after a few years and the blend becomes much rounder and richer. I also believe that because each years production can be different, the aged stuff will vary to a large degree. If your 9 year old run was a little lighter percentage wise( say 17% compared to the advertised 18%) that will make a difference. I know you were not blown away by your 9 year old Escudo but I bet you wouldn't go kicking it out of bed now would you? lol

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth, I did try the anny cake but it bit my tongue off. I loved the flavor but just too much red virginia in it. If I could somehow change my body chemistry a whole world of blends would open up for me. I have noticed that my tolerance for the reds is even worse than it used to be. I think it is because I have to take Potassium Citrate twice a day to keep the kidney stones at bay. Back when I was taking Allopurinol for my stones, it was not as bad and I could tolerate more reds.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth, no sweat buddy. More for the rest of you guys. lol
ghost, I have heard the Cope's is incredible, hopefully one day I will get my hands on some.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
OH MY GOD!!!! 8O
Just got my shipment in from P&C and tried Escudo. There are no words. This has got to be one of the classiest tobacco I've smoked thus far. I could kiss the creator of this stuff.
If you are thinking about trying it, DO IT! I should have ordered more. . . . :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.