PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Escudo was the first non Aromatic pipe tobacco that I'd smoked when I started smoking a pipe. I smoked through one tin and never really looked back. I acquired a few tins to age, thinking I'd open them in about 5 years or so. Well 5 years hasn't passed, but 2 1/2 did. So I said "Why not?" Cracked one open and thought, "I can understand the hype."
Aging benefits this standard Va/per, stewed fruit and malted hay notes are there, but I'm still on the fence whether this is really worth the revisit. With tobaccos like Pease Triple Play, McConnell Scottish Cake, or some Gawith offerings, Escudo may just be the beginners Va/per. (For me at least) Reminds me of the world of Absinthe, a beginner may experience a bottle of Lucid or the Swiss Kubler, but once you've had a Jade 1901, your really just bullshitting yourself when you go back to the Lucid's and Kubler's. I find myself searching for the right balance of Perique and Virginia, wanting something stronger in perique and a more complex Virginia. Always a bit of a dark fired or burley added in retrospect.
Aged Escudo is nice, another 5 years could really make this something special. Until then I'm enjoying the hell out of Scottish Cake, Chenets Cake, Fillmore, Triple Play, and Cabbie Mixture.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Escudo is a very good blend. Escudo with age is a great blend. I got some aged Escudo (6+ years) from a friend, and it was excellent. He doesn't smoke much anymore, so I've thought about buying the rest of his 1 lbs. or more of aged Escudo from him.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Thanks to the thread about Dating Escudo, I can say the tin is 3 1/2 years old. January 2013. So little more than 2 1/2.
Smoked two bowls back to back today and can say that the best that this blend has to offer, is the last third of the bowl. That's of course, to my personal taste. I sure would've liked to have tried earlier versions of this blend. I love dried fruits. Bit of a date head, Escudo provides that for me. Can't wait to check back in on this one in a few more years.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Perdurabo:
One of the things I learned from Harris/cigrmaster's stint here was to cellar and cellar deep. Every other month I've been doing my best to lay down a sleeve of Escudo tins and, on the odd months, to salt away VA and VaPer products from Dunhill, Wessex, Capstan, SG and Rattray's.
I don't like any of these blends I've been tucking away but they will provide me the smokes I enjoy in abundance when I leave the workforce. In ten years, my 13 year old tin of Escudo should easily be worth a half pound of fresh NightCap or pretty close to it.
Escudo, I'm told, gets tastier with each passing year. And you'll certainly be the one to lay claim.
So keep me in mind, okay? I'll be that grumpy Warren-like, wheel chair bound codger bashing people in the knees in the knees with my shillelagh for asking stupid questions.
Fnord

woopigpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Arkansas
I've never had the pleasure of smoking aged Escudo. It is incredible good fresh, so I can only imagine.
Fnord,
I'll gladly trade you my NightCap and all my other latakia garbage for your VaPers someday ;)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Escudo, even aged falls a bit flat to me. Now, aged Luxury Bullseye Flake and Acadian Perique, very nice. :puffy:

May 4, 2015
I like Escudo just fine. Agreed that I actually prefer LBF after the raw edge ages off it. About a year and it starts to become really good, especially for the price!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It all depends on what you want out of a Va/Per blend at a given moment. I find Escudo to be one of my favorite Va/Pers and I like it both fresh and aged, but I don't smoke it often. It has a unique balance that nothing else hits, so when I'm wanting that balance nothing else will do. It does change considerably given age. The flavors of the Virginias become rounder and fuller and the Perique loses some of its pepperiness, becoming much fruitier. Revisit your Escudo stash in a few more years. It's really great after 10 years in the tin.
I like LBF, but not fresh. To me, there's a distinct rawness and tastelessness to the blend when it's fresh. But given 4 or more years to age, it turns into something very nice and very tasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.