PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
Recently purchased some escudo and really enjoyed. Just curious to those that have had some aged. How big a difference does it make with this blend? And I know answers will vary.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
It's very different. I don't even smoke fresh Escudo anymore. I have my stash tucked away aging nicely and just smoke other blends until those hit the five year mark.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
It's good fresh but it is phenomenal aged. The oldest I've smoked is 5 years old and it is darn good. But even with a year on the tin it is really good.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
So do you think 5 years is the sweet spot?
It's the beginning of the sweet spot. I've smoked Escudo that's 10, 15, and 25+ years old. The changes in flavor are much less pronounced after 5 years, but I'd say 5-10 years is a good range.
The difference I taste is that the flavor of the Virginias becomes more pronounced and a little sweeter, and that the Perique loses it's pepperiness, becoming more fruity. It's an overall richer, fuller, and slightly more complex blend with some years on it. I also like Escudo fresh, but it's a very different animal than aged.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I am currently in the end stages of this exact comparison. I finished a tin of 7 year old escudo two weeks ago and am now smoking some that is roughly 1 year old. The difference is the Perique is almost an afterthought on the aged. If I think of the aged as a Virginia it is really good. Some sweetness and a smooth smoke. If i think of it as a VaPer it is a bit flat as there really is no spicyness to it. Since I am a straight VA guy the aged is a top smoke.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I love Escudo and look forward to trying some with some age on it. What I currently do is purchase a tin or two a month to smoke fresh and a tin to put into the cellar for a much later time. If I keep up my tin or so a month then in five or so years I can begin to smoke the aged tobacco and put my then current purchase in the cellar to start their aging process. A slow, but hopefully fruitful, and after five years maybe fruity, endeavor.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I think it is perfectly fine right from the shop. Age doesn't hurt it. It's a great Vaper, and not to be missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.