PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
A while back everyone was ranting about how good Escudo was, tried it several times & I didn't agree. Last week tried it again, new purchase, was on sale & love it now.

Is there any bulk that's cheaper that taste like it?

TIA

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Bulls Eye flake is similar/in the same general vane as Escudo and can only be purchased in bulk.
I find PSLBF to be a tad sweeter and enjoy it best when the center bit of cavendish has been rubbed out so that it mixes well with the rest of the tobacco. I would heartily recommend that you try this blend.
for the record, to me Escudo seems a bit more rich in flavor than the PSLBF and really benefits from slow smoking.
Happy puffing.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
The Peter Stokkebye Flakes are being shipped out in the 24 oz. boxes again. Last summer I asked for the boxes, and got bulk, so this week I ordered 80 oz. of each, expecting the same. I got three boxes, and a 8 oz. bag of bulk. Go figure.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
If you like Escudo, you might also like Sutliff's Match Elizabethan, which goes for about $26 a pound. Now, whenever I make a recommendation like this, some troll, looking down his nose, will post-up and say that Match Elizabethan tastes nothing like Escudo (intimating that he possesses a more discerning palate). Well, they're different blends, but this is a chance to explore the genre and expand your experiences without too much risk of disappointment.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Good recommendations! Escudo has a unique balance between the Virginias and Perique that isn't duplicated by any other blend. It's a blend that changes with aging to become less peppery and more fruity. I like it both fresh and aged. SP-LBF is a blend that I think really benefits from 4 or more years of aging. Fresh, I find it dull and insipid, the cardboard of tobacco blends. But given 4 or so years of aging, it hoes through a remarkable change, transforming from a caterpillar into a butterfly, opening up and becoming much richer and deeper in flavor. I find it a very enjoyable smoke when aged.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'm too old to wait for Luxury Bulleye to ripen. I have tasted both fresh and somewhat aged Escudo and I completely agree with everything sablebrush52 has said about both blends.

Whether or not any of these blends are produced exactly the same from year to year is an intrigue.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Good morning....
Fascinated with the idea of trying one of these blends...but which blend for the first time smoker? Right now I smoke a 50-50 mixture of Lane Ltd. "HGL" and McClellan-#2050 both mild, mellow.....but the above tobacco blends sound a little "stronger and fuller in flavor"...whatever that means.
So, un-virginize me. Be gentle....to this first-timer. I want to try some VaPer blends, but also can't take a huge nic hit either. Recommendations, please.....also some instructions on how to "rub" out flakes, plugs, drying times...what do I need to do before I pack my pipe and smoke away? This mysterious ritual is all new to me.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Frank

ryeguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2017
Escudo, Luxury Bulls Eye Flake and Luxury Twist Flake are all excellent tobacco's and you can't go wrong with anyone of them.

I don't think of LTF as being comparable to Escudo. Love it or hate it, it has a really strong (I'd say "cloying," but I guess that's a matter of taste) caramel topping that seems to me to put it in a totally different class.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
but the above tobacco blends sound a little "stronger and fuller in flavor
VaPer blends are often hard to taste starting out because of the mild flavor, but all of the suggestions above are great for anyone. I'll add Acadian Perique to the list for another good one to try. Below is a list of instruction videos on prepping different styles of tobaccos, and drying is subjective to the individual. I prefer bone dry tobacco myself.
Flake
Ribbon
Crumble Cake
Plugs
Rope
Coins

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I don't think of LTF as being comparable to Escudo.
Yep, no Perique in LTF, though I prefer it to Escudo. Escudo is just to bland for me, and have always preferred LBF to it.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
These are all good suggestions, I like LTF a lot as well.

I need to go back to the bullseye I have been saving, I haven't smoked it in a while, it is a little sweet.

I find PSLBF to be a tad sweeter and enjoy it best when the center bit of cavendish has been rubbed out so that it mixes well with the rest of the tobacco.

I agree rub out the cavendish bullseye and mix it so you don't just get a huge cavendish bomb in the middle of the bowl.
(Definitely not bulk but as a side note) IMHO deluxe navy rolls (are a little pricey) but along the same line as escudo. Both are favorites of mine! Sometimes I get more of a bready flavor from DNR's that I don't from escudo.

Do yourself a favor for a special occasion, and buy a couple of tins and squirrel them away in your cellar, they will taste great with some age.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Holy smokes! Chasingembers just reminded me of HH Acadian Perique. It's basically a Vaper, but amended nicely with Cavendish, Orientals, and DFK to produce a tasty, mellow smoke. And, it is produced in bulk (though there may be some backordering issues). IMO, one of the best recommendations yet.

ryeguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2017
Sumusfumus, mentioned elsewhere, but I'd recommend Orlik Golden Sliced, if you haven't had it. It's light on Perique (which also means lighter on nic), but it has an intoxicating bright Virginia flavor. It would be very tentatively dipping your toe into the VaPer pool.
I'd warn that, for me, it bites bad if it's not pretty dry. Drying time depends on ambient RH, but for my taste, I'd say something like a minimum of 30 minutes after it has been fully rubbed out.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have an unopened tin of Escudo and some PS bullseye flake in a jar, and so much else opened and unopened. I'll get around to it. The PS is pleasant, a little edgy but good flavor. Right now I'm enjoying various pouch blends that don't taste anything like pouch blends -- Erin Go Braugh, John Bull, SWR Aro. Plus a tin of Spilman Mixture from IR.

Status
Not open for further replies.