PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
Brian Levine, the guy who does the radio show here, just did a side by side by side of 3 different vintages, which I think were 2007, 2011, and 2013. He preferred the 2011 and thought the 2007 had lost a lot of the notes from the perique that he likes. Different strokes, I suppose.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'm a little concerned about the "dried and stored" phrase. Escudo comes in tins. I'd age it in the sealed tins. When you eventually open it -- say, 3-4 years from now -- you may want to let it dry for a couple of hours or you may want to smoke it straight from the tin. Try it both ways and see which you prefer. But I would never recommend "drying" a blend and THEN storing it to age. Once you open a tin, you'll immediately lose much of the aging potential. And to dry a tobacco prior to cellaring would dramatically affect its ability to age appropriately, I think.
Bob

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Escudo is really good right out of the chute, but if you can get hold of some of the ten-year old or older stuff you will have found true tobacco heaven.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I'm a huge fan of this blend, and I have 13 tins aging. One tin is close to 2 years old, and I cant wait for it to reach the 3 year mark....

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Orlik production Escudo before the Scandinavian Tobacco Group blend acquisition aged very well. 5 y/o was fantastic! Escudo has always been a top three tobacco for me.
Unless overly wet, I would not dry a tobacco before aging. Moisture sustains basic chemical processes, and at some point too little probably has an effect on aging.

Status
Not open for further replies.