PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Like many, I partook in the very generous deal that 4noggins offered earlier this week on Escudo Navy De Luxe.
Now, I have generally been an aro smoker since picking up the pipe just shy of a year ago (my anniversary date will be July 16th). I have sampled everything except Oriental since then. I've bounced around some English style blends with some iffy feelings there. I'll chalk it up to an immature palate.
One blend that I had not -until today- tried was a VaPer. I've read countless favorable chatter here on PM about VaPer blends so I figured I would have to get around to it sooner than later. I have become jaded with aros finding them all basically being the same; no longer finding any enjoyment or challenge in them.
It was time to move on and 4noggins gave me the perfect opportunity. I bought four tins: one to smoke and three to cellar because Va/VaPer have been continually touted as the most cellarable of pipe tobaccos. Cool, I'll get my first VaPer light in plus have some to tuck away in the ol' cellar cabinet.
img_0841-600x450.jpg

I decided that I hadn't been using my Savinelli Oscar 413KS enough -or really at all- for quite some time, so that would be the vessel for my maiden voyage with Escudo. I love this pipe, it was an unsmoked estate that only required a deoxidizing of the stem which was brown.
img_0843-600x450.jpg

The tin note (from my amateur POV) smelled of hay and raisins. It smelt good. I went with the fold and stuff packing method. On first light I tasted a strong peppery hit from the perique. That peppery taste never went away.
From then on I had to relight a few times, but I tasted pepper, leather and it had a generally natural/earthy flavor. The nicotine content was also made known, not a bad thing. As someone who enjoys medium to strong cigars, it reminded me a lot of a them in so many ways. That rounded out the tastes of my first experience and enjoyment of this VaPer classic.
I smoked the entire bowl on my back patio, enjoying the warm, sunny summer solstice and listening to The 69 Eyes, a Finnish goth rock band. An appropriate choice because the summer solstice is a big event in Finland where it is called Juhannus the Midsummer Eve celebration.
img_0844-600x450.jpg

I must say that this was an enjoyable smoke, especially for my first time packing a pipe with a VaPer. Now I think I understand what everyone was talking about and why Escudo has a high reputation among pipe smokers.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I did not understand perique until I smoked escudo. It is the bar by which all va-pers are measured. Bravo.
Nice pictures, by the way.

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
Mine is supposed to be here tomorrow. Looking forward to my first try of Escudo. Great review.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Got my order today as well. I have 3 or 4 that I got about 14 months ago and am excited about popping one of those soon. From what I have heard a year or two of sleeping does wonders for Escudo.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I've never dedicated a pipe to anything, so I think this Sav just got volunteered for Escudo duty.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
@cmdr you definitely want to dedicate a pipe to VaPers, or everything you smoke in it will taste like perique. Also if you like this VaPer, give McClellend's St. James woods a try, it's amazing. I'm waiting on my order but will be cellaring it as I have enough tobacco on the go and know I'll enjoy this. Also I find some VaPer's like cool hand fluke by John Patton that contain 40% perique you have to dedicate to a specific pipe or even stuff like escudo will have an overpowering perique flavor that isn't what it's supposed to be.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
For sure, Stalin ... I mean, Andrew.
The Sav I was using doesn't get much use anyways, so it is a perfect candidate for being a VaPer pipe.
As for other VaPer blends, I have a short list saved for the next time I put down an order: Three Nuns (I know, it doesn't have perique anymore), GLP Haddo's Delight, Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls and H&H Louisiana Red.
It's time to grow up and move out of aros.

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
This is a great review - enjoyed the pictures. Looking forward to my Escudo arriving as well.
I wasn't that big of a believer in "pipe dedication" until I dedicated one to Escudo. Wow. Over time, it makes a difference... more Escudo-y essence going on.
I hope you do more reviews, and enjoy the world of Va/Pers :mrgreen:

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I fired up another bowl last night after dinner and was still just as happy with it as before. Real consistent flavor the whole way which I appreciated after having smoked aros for almost a year solid.
I'm going to have to experiment a bit with airing out time and packing because I had to relight far too often. There is always some learning curve to try and master ...

joeval

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
Nice review - this stuff has been on my wish list for some time now. Next TAD order...

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Welcome to VaPer land! As fa as Escudo, you couldn't have made a better choice for your first experience.
I have two tins of McClellend's St. James Woods that I got about a month ago, but haven't opened one yet. I'm trying to get through some of the opened tobacco for awhile and there is certainly no rush. I don't dedicate any of my pipes to a tobacco and so far I haven't noticed any 'ghosting' from any of the VaPer's I smoke, but that might possibly be due to the fact that I have the taste buds of 40 grit sandpaper. :wink:

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
year or two of sleeping does wonders for Escudo.
I have found this to be true. I have also found that it is a very pipe sensitive blend.

POSTED 16 HOURS AGO #
What "type" pipe makes the best pipe for VaPer's?

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
As I was scanning the forum, the mailman delivered my package of goodies. :) trial of Escudo coming soon. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.